• Show
Clear All

• Jazz Mod Confirmation

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jazz with Parallel-Series and Kill Switch.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	5853186

Can anyone confirm if this is correct. I want to utilize both volume knobs while having a series/parallel push pull switch and a push pull kill switch without removing my tone or modifying the outer appearance. I've added a series/parallel and kill switch using a three-way toggle, but I had to sacrifice a volume knob and the obvious, looks.

Re: Jazz Mod Confirmation

Why the kill switch? If you've got two volumes, just roll one back and toggle between pickups.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I want to experiment with a kill switch for potential effects. Also, I can kill the volume without losing my place and still practice without others hearing me.

Remember I want it to look OG. Adding a toggle would not work. Also, I will never use just one single coil.
      Last edited by Shane Foster; 12-08-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

The kill switch should cut signal when down.

I'm a little confused about the series/parallel wiring. This is for a single humbucker . . . with a volume control for each coil?
        Last edited by GuitarStv; 12-09-2019, 08:32 AM.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          The kill switch should cut signal when down.

I'm a little confused about the series/parallel wiring. This is for a single humbucker . . . with a volume control for each coil?
          Crap, which way to reverse it? want to pull up to cut it. That's the one I thought was right.

It's for a Jazz style bass so two single coils. That's the only reason I'm confused on the parallel/series switch. I did it before with a 4-wire humbucker and another jass bass setup, but it was with a 3-way on-off-on switch (series/off/parallel).

Comment

Originally posted by Shane Foster View Post
            Crap, which way to reverse it? want to pull up to cut it. That's the one I thought was right.

It's for a Jazz style bass so two single coils. That's the only reason I'm confused on the parallel/series switch. I did it before with a 4-wire humbucker and another jass bass setup, but it was with a 3-way on-off-on switch (series/off/parallel).
            Use a multimeter to double check, but the middle is connected with the lower when the pot is down in all the push-pulls I've run into.

Just move the lead connecting to tone to the lower right lug. Then it'll be on (connecting with rest of circuit) with the pot down and cut (disconnected from circuit) with the pot up.

Comment

Here, I think that this will do what you want (just picture that 2nd ugly box being connected to the bridge volume):

The kill pot will cut out the hot connection when it's up, or connect it when down. The series/parallel pot will be parallel when down and series when up.

Comment

Thank you so much. Where did you find the pic?

Comment

Thank you so much. Where did you find the pic?
                  I found a seymour duncan one for series/parallel on a j-bass () and then used ms paint to draw a ghetto second switch in it with connections to disconnect the jack.

If you trace the wire from the tip of the output jack, when the kill switch is up it breaks the output from the pickups. When the switch is down it connects the output to the pickups (just like in the SD diagram). Since SD did the series/parallel part, I'm like 99% sure it'll work.

Comment

Sometimes... I don't know why I didn't remember to look there. I seriously looked everywhere I know of except there. I completely forgot about it.

I had it wired like that before with a humbucker, but I somehow thought with it being two single coils, it needed to be different. Thanks again.

Comment

No worries. Happy soldering!

Comment

I'd love to know how this project turns out!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102384[/ATTACH]

Can anyone confirm if this is correct. I want to utilize both volume knobs while having a series/parallel push pull switch and a push pull kill switch without removing my tone or modifying the outer appearance. I've added a series/parallel and kill switch using a three-way toggle, but I had to sacrifice a volume knob and the obvious, looks.
                          That's a mess.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            That's a mess.
                            There's no need to be an ass to someone who's asking for help. If you think it's a mess, maybe try explaining a way to improve things.

Comment

You know, Steve, you've really got a problem.

To tell someone that the wiring essentially will not work ("that's a mess") is not judgemental of the person asking for help it is an observation of the wiring, and it IS offering more help that if I said, "wow, that wiring looks great, you really did a good job there. It will do everything you want. Hope everything works out great for you".

After I posted my observation I was going to post a solution but I didn't offer any ways to improve it because by the time I figured out a better diagram I noticed that there had already been suggestions given (by you). There was no need at that point for me to be redundant.

I wonder if there was any real need for you to call me an "ass" and if THAT was helpful to anyone in anyway (other than to allow everyone to see your immaturity), and if maybe you were being an as* in saying that.
                              Last edited by GuitarDoc; 12-13-2019, 10:24 AM.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X