banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally found my favorite humbucker for a Strat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally found my favorite humbucker for a Strat...

... and it’s an SSL-5.

(Yes, I’m aware it’s not a humbucker)

I’d been swapping magnets in the C5 in my Strat’s bridge, and nothing had as much bite and punch as I wanted. On a whim, I pulled the SSL-5 from the neck, put it reverse slanted ala Jimi in the bridge, and put the other Tex Mex in the neck.

Bite with plenty of muscle in the bridge, plus all the bluesy Stratty goodness in the middle and neck. The 2 & 4 positions are pretty great, too.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Finally found my favorite humbucker for a Strat...

Today, I played a Strat with the Lil’ Screamin’ Demon in the bridge and I frickin’ loved it! But the SSL-5 is cool too.
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I have the SSL-5/-1/-1 combo. Sounds good, but the ssl-5 needs to see 500k at the vol pot to excel.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Try the 59/C hybrid when ya get a chance, you might like it more than the stock custom lineup.

Comment

I’ve got a 500k volume in it currently. Definitely suits the SSL-5. The Tex Mexes sound great with it, too.

I thought about getting a 59/C hybrid, and probably will try it at some point, but I think that single coil focus is what I was missing. Maybe it’s psychosomatic, but whatever... I’m happier now.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
            I have the SSL-5/-1/-1 combo. Sounds good, but the ssl-5 needs to see 500k at the vol pot to excel.
            I run the SSL-6 in the bridge with a 250k vol and no tone pot. It does really well like that too.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
              I pulled the SSL-5 from the neck, put it reverse slanted ala Jimi in the bridge, and put the other Tex Mex in the neck.
              Gilmour set is pretty hard to argue with.

I really wish reverse slant bridge pickups were more common. I really think it should be the standard slant, it fixes so many of the problems of a standard strat bridge pickup, without resorting to extra EQ, compression or overdrives.

[I'd go for the STK-S6 & STK-S4s, but it only makes sense to try what you have on hand before spending money--and of course don't bother if you don't need or want the hum cancellation.]

Comment

I love a good old JB in the bridge of a Strat. And the Screamin' Demon is great if you want something special and different.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                X