banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the wiring diagram to install Dimarzio EP1111 4PDT SWITCH IN Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the wiring diagram to install Dimarzio EP1111 4PDT SWITCH IN Les Paul?

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here, but I'm a long time reader of these forums. I have learned a ton here over the years! One thing that eludes me, though, is info on installing Dimarzio's ep1111 in a les paul.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul and very soon plan to install a set of Seymour Duncans, JB and Jazz, and the Dimarzio 3-way 4PDT toggle switch. I like the idea of this switch because it allows me to split the humbuckers in the middle position to get a Strat like tone.

However, every wiring diagram I find isn't for a guitar with 2 volumes and 2 tones. On Dimarzio's website the wiring diagrams are under JPM method wiring, but none of those have 2vol 2tone diagrams.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty new to soldering and wiring, and would be lost without a detailed diagram. I'm sure I could take it somewhere and have someone else do it, but I like learning and being able to do it myself. Thanks.

Re: Where is the wiring diagram to install Dimarzio EP1111 4PDT SWITCH IN Les Paul?

Hey Sanfula welcome to the forum. I stumbled across one on an Ibanez SZ of some sort a while back and asked myself the same question. I'll draw something out for you shortly as after a bunch of pick measuring with a sad pumpkin on here I actually figured them out. I wanted to go series for a slightly higher output tone myself but still haven't got around to trying it.

Dimarzio says you've got to reverse the polarity of the bridge pickup so one of the easiest ways as magnet swaps are about as exciting as lining up at the post office for me at the end of the month. The easiest way we can do it is physically rotating the bridge pickup where the logo is going the other way. I had to draw this out myself in photoshop using recycled Seymour Duncan images. Sounds like a lot of work but I have blank templates to make the process quicker. This took me 10 minutes to draw maximum.

Alright so image time.

my references and some popular color codes

the diagram
    now how I hooked up the tone controls and volumes is a new (to me) way as I haven't owned a les paul or SG in 5+ years. This is an independent volume circuit. What it means is you've got more control in the center position. I got the idea from a blog I read out of boredom on guitar (dot) com where they spoke about 25 ways to upgrade the tone on a les paul. Which was surprisingly helpful. I just finished doing a few projects myself so worst case scenario the bridge pickup red and white wires you may have to switch out .... however .. this will work. The volumes act like a filter before they hit the switch, the switch sends the signal out to the jack. Not too hard to re-do.

if you want to go with the standard volume controls (or 50s) just focus on the center and left lugs of the volume pots. Capacitor wise go with anything. If you like the sound of your guitar the typical 0.047uf (47nf) is fine.
    Last edited by shadowfire90; 12-08-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Re: Where is the wiring diagram to install Dimarzio EP1111 4PDT SWITCH IN Les Paul?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you going through all the trouble to create the wiring diagram. Great job!!! I'm not gonna lie, this looks tricky, but I will definitely give it a shot. I will update when I'm finished.

Comment

Glad I could help. Focus one pickup at a time and you'll do ok.

the center wires are where all the magic is happening
        so the red ires are your hot lead from your switch to your tip (input jack) - similar to the one by itself on the volume
        the black ones are your ground - ground anywhere, easy

the biggest tip I have is to make a template to have the selector switch sit in. There are two templates people should have. A small one to do mods inside a guitar. A larger one replicating the full wiring of our guitar. However the biggest piece o advice is to just tin everything you know you're going to use and put a tiny template in the guitar and you're set.

good luck with your wring, any questions about wiring we're here to help

Comment

Working...
        X