Boss RC-3 new owner seeks advice or commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss RC-3 new owner seeks advice or commentary

Just purchased new Boss RC-3 Loop Station. Love/Hate relationship so far.[Yes I know, it's an inanimate object.] I'm lookin' for random info from longtime users. For 1 thing, I have difficulty switching between 4/4 & 3/4 time rhythm. I know how to operate this pedal in a general way. Anyone?

Re: Boss RC-3 new owner seeks advice or commentary

I used an RC-2 for teaching for a few years, but ultimately, it seemed it had to be on a table to switch between the different settings. It sort of goes against how I like to loop, and didn't have the features I need, so I eventually sold it.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I used an RC-2 for teaching for a few years, but ultimately, it seemed it had to be on a table to switch between the different settings. It sort of goes against how I like to loop, and didn't have the features I need, so I eventually sold it.
      Thanks Mincer. Yeah, it does seem to be a table device.

Comment

All you need is a little fsU footswitch to toggle between or advance through phrases.
        Get two of the fsU (they can be slide-locked together for one solid unit if desired) or just get a double switch.
        You will also need a stereo/dual-mono cable.

The stereo-left side is a tap-tempo and instant kill, and the stereo-right controls the scrolling.

The manual explains time setting on page 13, and the section on remotes explains the scrolling.
        You can scroll forward or back while the last round of a phrase is playing, then upon completion of the current phrase it will move forward or back depending on how it was cued.

It only needs the stereo-right switch connected to scroll, in the case you only have one. That is the small ring side of the plug iirc.

You can always auto-cue phrase changes "manually"/by-hand,,,,,,,,but then you need a table and sometimes very quick hand.
        Last edited by dave74; 12-10-2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

It just seems like a clumsy solution to using it live, which is probably why the bigger loopers are more popular. For one-off loops I use a Jamman Express, but for serious looping, I stick with my pair of Digital Echoplex Pros.

Comment

It's a loop pedal without a country. Lots of cool features. All unusable on the fly. As Dave said - handy of you want to use one thing at a time and switch on the table.

Otherwise get a one trick pedal, or a pedal with way better switching options for the floor.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It's a great writing looper IMO, not really the best for performance. Yea it's kind of in the middle area.

I like mine because I can play to a simple beat or mostly the hi-hat chirps on 1/4 notes,,,,,,,without needing to fire-up the drum machine or moniters.
              It holds a ton of phrases/time, and unless you need to scroll all you need is the pedal on the floor or even better just get one fsU for the tap-tempo and kill.

The main thing IMO is to reset the switching order for writing not performing. It's near the start of the manual.

Comment

Actually the foot scroll is not clumsy at all if you set the time-sig changes in order going forward only.
                The only time it's clumsy is having to hold down for 2 seconds to scroll backwards, otherwise it's just a simple quick foot-touch at anytime during the last round of the current phrase.
                Obviously having the extra switches could be a problem if your board is already full,,,,,,and they do need velcro or mounting because they will walk away being so light.

Comment

Yeah, I had the RC-3 for a time, as others have already stated it was really cool to mess around with at home when I could sit and manually mess with the various functions by hand. But just wasn't convenient for use in a live situation, which is what I was wanting it for, to enhance solo acoustic performances and such. I wound up getting the RC-30 instead which was much easier to use onstage, and thinking about possibly upgrading to the RC-300 soon.

Comment

Boss really dove head-in into the 'song structure' style of looping....building an arrangement from the ground up. If that isn't the way you might use loops, they aren't a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X