All 3 Strat pickups reverse slant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All 3 Strat pickups reverse slant

Anybody have all their single coils reverse slanted (aside from Paul Gilbert and Jake E Lee)?

My Strat has a HSS guard in it now, with an SSL-5 reverse slanted in the bridge position. I was looking at a new guard with the bridge hole cut like that, and got to thinking maybe I should get one with all 3 pickups reversed.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: All 3 Strat pickups reverse slant

Well, only the bridge is slanted in almost every strat I've seen. The reverse slant I have on a couple of guitars.......there is a slight difference in that position, and it especially suits vintage toned pickups as it gives great bite to the bass strings and takes the very top off the treble strings.
    The neck and middle are not angled, and the question is, would you slant them at all.....and my thought is 'why'. At best you will only get any meaningful position change with the outer E strings, as the middle 2 poles will barely move at all, and the B and A strings only the barest fraction.

You could rout the body such that you could put a vintage staggered pickup with the whole thing 180deg rotated so you have less issue with the G string volume imbalance. But if you have little to no stagger this is pointless.

Comment

i like the idea but dont have any guitar with a pool rout to try it

Comment

I pooled the hell out of this guitar when I was working on the refin. I won't say for sure that I believe that it makes it sound better, but I dig the lighter weight, and having room to do goofy shiz like use any combo of pickups turned however I like, and mount dummy coils to reduce noise.

Regarding the effect on the sound, I don't think there's anything slight about the change. The "problem" with a Strat bridge is the icepick bright E & B, and reversing the angle fixes it. Mustangs look sweet with both pickups angled, and Paul Gilbert's Ibanez guitars look cool with all three reverse-slanted.

I'm gonna find a place that will do all three reverse-slanted and order one soon.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I think reversing the slant for all 3 might just cure what I don't like about normal Strats.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Have tried it on the bridge. It worked very nicely with heavy strings 12s... More articulate bass and warmer highs. But it seem to mess up the quack in the two position so maybe switching them all might restore the quack?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                Last edited by zionstrat; 12-10-2019, 11:19 PM.
                What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

On my Kramer I have the bridge pickup slanted backwards. That’s a better way to do it. You get smoother high strings and tighter low strings.

There’s really no reason to slant any of the pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Whenever I build a reverse headstock Strat, I reverse the bridge pup as well. I plan to build a Tele with a reverse bridge sometime in the future.

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I don't see what benefit there is for changing the neck pickup. The stock position is the ideal spot for the neck p/u, although reverse slant wouldn't be very noticable. Slanting all 3 pickup looks like a stylistic consideration more than a practical one. If the bridge pickup makes you unhappy, you may like to have it orientated perpendicular, although its going to loose some stylistic mojo.

Comment

According to a book I have Fender's reason for slanting the bridge pickup was to avoid parts of the sonic spectrum already inhabited by other instruments in a Jazz Band. It was hoped the bass slant would allow guitarists to play walking bass lines which would stand out from acoustic bass and the treble slant would be a higher frequency than trumpets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                          Exactly. It looks badass.

Comment

I would think a Tele can really benefit from the reverse, for people like me who think the bridge pickup is 'a little too much'.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

All the people saying "there's no reason to slant the middle or neck pickups" do not understand rock and roll: it LOOKS COOL.
                              Do it!

Comment

Working...
                              X