Wiring an (On-Off-Mmtry On) switch idea help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring an (On-Off-Mmtry On) switch idea help

Hi people smarter than me. I have this DPDT switch and my intent is to have it run an active 9v in the center “off” mode, 18v in the “on” mode and make the momentary “on” a killswitch.

I know it may sound mad...

Ive been racking my brain and have all but accepted that it is impossible without a bunch of modification. But I cant seem to let this idea go until I am absolutely sure it is a no-go.

Are these circuits possible on this switch and if so, how?

Thank you.

Re: Wiring an (On-Off-Mmtry On) switch idea help

That’s not possible with an off center position.

I’d go with two switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Agreed.

However, *if* there are any manufacturers that make an on/*on*/on momentary switch, i could see that working.

[Edit: after some more thought, i realized that in 18v mode, 9V #1 needs to route to 9V #2 in series. When i get home where my sketch is, i will make the updates and repost. DONE]

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191215-210115_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	5817827

Name:	20191205_223147.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	5817826

Ignore the drawing at the bottom. It is an earlier version and i cannot figure out how to delete it from this post.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-16-2019, 12:02 AM.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I've never seen a switch that is DPDT on/on/on with the third position being momentary. I've seen SPST and SPDT momentary switches.

Could you post a link to it?
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          I've never seen a switch that is DPDT on/on/on with the third position being momentary. I've seen SPST and SPDT momentary switches.

Could you post a link to it?
          I wrote "*if* anyone makes one." Even if none exist, i believe that proposed wiring would work if the OP is willing to resort to using an on/on/on switch that is not momentary.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Or you could just use a DPDT push/pull or push/push for the 9v to 18v, then a separate momentary for the kill switch.

Comment

thanks for the reply people. i realize there are easier ways to get the outcome im after but i am striving for something unique and im just having fun pondering it over. it’s a challenge and therefore fun.

what if the center off position was bridged to be on? i recently found a supplier that has some less common switches. ill look for a on on on there.

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                Agreed.

However, *if* there are any manufacturers that make an on/*on*/on momentary switch, i could see that working.
                and i definitely know on-on-(on) switches exist...

Comment

Originally posted by billymagnum View Post
                  thanks for the reply people. i realize there are easier ways to get the outcome im after but i am striving for something unique and im just having fun pondering it over. it’s a challenge and therefore fun.

what if the center off position was bridged to be on? i recently found a supplier that has some less common switches. ill look for a on on on there.
                  Or you could just use a DPDT push/pull or push/push for the 9v to 18v, then a separate momentary for the kill switch.
                  Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                  That’s not possible with an off center position.

I’d go with two switches.

I had an idea... this might work for what the OP has - an On/Off/(On momentary). It relies on my untested assumption that just like you can turn off one humbucker coil by sending the finish-wires link to ground, that 9V battery #1 can be turned off by sending its positive connection to ground in Switch Position 1, without any impact to 9V battery #2 staying on.

Let me know if you gentlemen think this will work.

Name:	Screenshot_20191217-003844_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	5817835
                  Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-16-2019, 11:46 PM.

Comment

excellent to see others crudely drawing this thing out like i have! ill have to try this one out i think it is different from the ones ive already tried. thanks

Comment

If you send the positive battery terminal to ground you have shorted out the battery and it will fail/go dead rather quickly. It's not like shorting out a pup hot wire to eliminate it from the circuit. To remove a battery from the circuit you need to disconnect it, not short it.

Comment

Wiring an (On-Off-Mmtry On) switch idea help

If you short the battery’s hot terminal to ground your battery will literally get hot and can start a fire. You can find YouTube videos of this.

It’s not hard to rig up a switch to do 9 or 18 volts. If you use a center off that can be your standby position.

But if you are thinking of using that as a kill switch, you will probably get a loud pop when you switch it, and the sound might not die right away as filter caps in the circuit remain charged.

Comment

can we use resistors to halt the short and solve pop with resistors?

Comment

There are better ways to handle it. Just a switch to disconnect/interrupt the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                              If you short the battery’s hot terminal to ground your battery will literally get hot and can start a fire. You can find YouTube videos of this.

It’s not hard to rig up a switch to do 9 or 18 volts. If you use a center off that can be your standby position.

But if you are thinking of using that as a kill switch, you will probably get a loud pop when you switch it, and the sound might not die right away as filter caps in the circuit remain charged.

If you send the positive battery terminal to ground you have shorted out the battery and it will fail/go dead rather quickly. It's not like shorting out a pup hot wire to eliminate it from the circuit. To remove a battery from the circuit you need to disconnect it, not short it.
                              Thanks guys for reviewing my idea, and spotting the issue before there was trouble!

Comment

Working...
                              X