banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EL34, 6Ca7, E34L or KT77 for Marshall amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EL34, 6Ca7, E34L or KT77 for Marshall amp?

I used to run a pair of Hiwatt Bulldogs and they sounded best to me with Sylvania 6CA7. Not a big fan of EL34/KT77. These days I'm loading EL34 amps with KT66.

Comment

I would go for EHX 6CA7's over JJ 6CA7's, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
        I have no personal experience, but what I'm able to deduce here, and my recollection of earlier threads about tubes, 6CA7 are closest to what you want.

Or you can just order any regular EL34 and switch preamp tubes to JJ for that darker and fuller tone. That makes a bigger difference
        When you say "darker" what does it mean?
        Less treble? More bass? Less opened? Less mids?

I search tubes that are neutraler than stock el34.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          gamme - étendue plus complète sur tout le spectre eq

(google translate)
          Merci beaucoup ^^

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
            You havent been too open to my suggestions so far but if i were you id totally avoid JJ tube products, they are garbage. But just the fact you bring them up tells me you have no idea what you're doing. Also you seem to have an extreme case of GAS. Normally when asking a question its about an exchange of ideas to formulate an opinion based on fact. However you seem to want people to enable your choices which is kinda like an addictive personality thing. In any event i think i'll just block you as my life is full of BS already. Don't need added kaka.

But what are you talking about?

I don't know anything about tubes. So yes, I ask the question here.
            I note that you are the only one to get upset or react in this way .... And I do not get why.

You talk to me to send you pics etc .... But pics of what?
            Then you tell me about my nationality.
            Either you give serious answer/advice or you go your way. You are not the only one who has no time to waste unnecessarily.
            Have a good day

Comment

Isn't the el34 100 x 100 power amps model number 9200 ? Do you have something different? Be careful, some tubes suggested may not physically fit into the chassis. I have a 9200 and I wanted to try 6L6 tubes but they were to tall to fit. My only options were 5881's or EL34'S.

Comment

Demanic is a Marshall guy. If he says they work, they work.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Micha View Post

Well I think you want 6CA7s then. Current production are JJ or Electro Harmonix. The EH's have a good reliability. They should go in without soldering iron modifications to the amp, and they should fit physically, but you will still have to adjust the bias setting. You may need to roll down the treble settings a little bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Repoman View Post
                    Isn't the el34 100 x 100 power amps model number 9200 ? Do you have something different? Be careful, some tubes suggested may not physically fit into the chassis. I have a 9200 and I wanted to try 6L6 tubes but they were to tall to fit. My only options were 5881's or EL34'S.
                    No it's not the same.
                    The 9100 (2x50 watts) and 9200 (2x100 watts) are 5881 equipped.

The el34 50/50 or El 34 100/100 with El 34

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                      Well I think you want 6CA7s then. Current production are JJ or Electro Harmonix. The EH's have a good reliability. They should go in without soldering iron modifications to the amp, and they should fit physically, but you will still have to adjust the bias setting. You may need to roll down the treble settings a little bit more.
                      Thank you.
                      I think I will go for the 6ca7 or El 34 II. But either 6ca7.

Can we say That jj or eh sounds typavlly, generally sounds in a certain way?
                      Jj always darker than eh or something?
                      Or it depend on the tube?

Comment

Thank you.
                        I think I will go for the 6ca7 or El 34 II. But either 6ca7.

Can we say That jj or eh sounds typavlly, generally sounds in a certain way?
                        Jj always darker than eh or something?
                        Or it depend on the tube?
                        There is little question about the reliability of the EH. It's one of the higher quality tubes available today in my experience.

The EH is probably a bit brighter than the JJ, but either 6CA7 will have more "air" between the harmonics in the mids compared to an EL34, and that gives slightly smoother treble. Combined with the slightly deeper but tighter bass, and the open mids, and I estimate that they will be more what your looking for compared to EL34. Some people have said that the EH 6CA7 is close sounding to the original 6CA7s.

I don't have as much experience with the JJ version so I don't want to talk bad about them or misrepresent them.
                        Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 12-12-2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                          There is little question about the reliability of the EH. It's one of the higher quality tubes available today in my experience.

The EH is probably a bit brighter than the JJ, but either 6CA7 will have more "air" between the harmonics in the mids compared to an EL34, and that gives slightly smoother treble. Combined with the slightly deeper but tighter bass, and the open mids, and I estimate that they will be more what your looking for compared to EL34. Some people have said that the EH 6CA7 is close sounding to the original 6CA7s.

I don't have as much experience with the JJ version so I don't want to talk bad about them or misrepresent them.

Dave Friedman dropped JJ as standard in his amps in favor of EH because of too many JJ failures which were also taking out components when they blew which resulted in amp repairs on his dime due to tube failures. I know 2 other tube vendors that have a 50% JJ failure rate out of the box. Its not "talking bad" telling it the way it is when it comes to tubes. People have a right to know. JJ could be a good company but their QC sucks. Their solution to "bad tubes" is just to offer free replacements & flood the market with more "bad tubes".
                          Internet is saturated with JJ horror stories for years.
                          Buyer beware.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 12-13-2019, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Dave Friedman dropped JJ as standard in his amps in favor of EH because of too many JJ failures which were also taking out components when they blew which resulted in amp repairs on his dime due to tube failures. I know 2 other tube vendors that have a 50% JJ failure rate out of the box. Its not "talking bad" telling it the way it is when it comes to tubes. People have a right to know. JJ could be a good company but their QC sucks. Their solution to "bad tubes" is just to offer free replacements & flood the market with more "bad tubes".
                            Buyer beware.
                            Oh it's very k te resting to know.
                            Thanks a lot for this informations.

I will go for EH 6Ca7's or Mullard reissue EL34's. I read a lot good things about these.

Important for me is to get 2 matched quartets.
                            I really don't want to spend a lot of extra money for bad tubes like JJ's... Mostly if there are selected ones to see them broken down after 6 months because of poor quality.
                            I'll eleminate JJ.

Comment

Buyer beware.
                              Well. I have personally used them few batches and never had a bad one. And those who don't like them, complain usually how dark they sound, not about reliability.

Only heard you bad mouthing them really. In fact I recall you've been bad mouthing every new tube manufacturer out there in favor of NOS/VOS tubes.

I don't know, but I'm begginning to suspect you sell them...
                              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

When you say "darker" what does it mean?
                                Less treble? More bass? Less opened? Less mids?

Mind you, this is just about their preamp tubes I mentioned. I don't know about their 6CA7's or EL34's: More mids, definitely in the lower register. Their not overly bassy though, like Sovteks for comparison. Treble is clearer, more contained and less sparkly than most.
                                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                                X