banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EL34, 6Ca7, E34L or KT77 for Marshall amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EL34, 6Ca7, E34L or KT77 for Marshall amp?

He's right, KT-77's have plenty of sizzle, and crunch, and low end. Which is why I like them.

Comment

EHX 6CA7s

Thank me later

Signed,

A Major Marshallhead

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        EHX 6CA7s

Thank me later

Signed,

A Major Marshallhead
        How do they sound to stock El 34?

Comment

6CA7's sound very thick and full. Lots of low mids and bottom. No shortage of high end, but not shrill.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            6CA7's sound very thick and full. Lots of low mids and bottom. No shortage of high end, but not shrill.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by Diego View Post
            I've got EHX 6CA7 tubes in my Tweaker and they're very bright and sizzly when pushed hard compared to the stock 6V6 tubes, which is not really a fair comparison but oh well.

Love them but they're not smooth or neutral at all.
            It seems like the opinions are different....

Comment

Originally posted by Micha View Post
              It seems like the opinions are different....
              Yes they have different opinions, however I think they are comparing the 6CA7 in 2 different amplifiers.

Demanic - Marshall (I think as this follows LLL's Marshall post) amplifier

Diego - Egnater amplifier

So likely different tone shaping between the preamps and tone stacks, and not an apples to apples comparison.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I use the 6CA7. They do have more bass...And more treble. The more open mids is what I like most about them. They could work if you EQ the pre amps accordingly.

However, the Mullard reissue is the warmest current production EL34 family tube I have tried in recent years. I still say go with the Mullards if you want warmer and less sizzle. Make sure they are biased properly.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                  Yes they have different opinions, however I think they are comparing the 6CA7 in 2 different amplifiers.

Demanic - Marshall (I think as this follows LLL's Marshall post) amplifier

Diego - Egnater amplifier

So likely different tone shaping between the preamps and tone stacks, and not an apples to apples comparison.
                  Demanic compared them to either EL34 or KT77 and Diego has Tweaker which has 6V6 in stock.

So I guess them to be between those two very much the opposite tube types
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                    Demanic compared them to either EL34 or KT77 and Diego has Tweaker which has 6V6 in stock.

So I guess them to be between those two very much the opposite tube types
                    I read a lot good things about 6Ca7's.
                    To be honest I hesitate between 3 tubes.
                    6ca7, Mullard el34 reissue and at last E34L.

That the same tube sound differently under different brand make this more complicated. I'm a little bit lost.
                    Last edited by Micha; 12-13-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Todays modern 6CA7 isn't really like the 6CA7's of old.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                        Todays modern 6CA7 isn't really like the 6CA7's of old.
                        Agreed, IIRC the original 6CA7s would require a rework of the bias circuit. The EH ones are basically "harder" EL-34s, which isn't a bad thing to me.

I could be wrong, it's been a few years since I used them.

Comment

How do they sound to stock El 34?
                          gamme - étendue plus complète sur tout le spectre eq

(google translate)

Comment

Asking about tubes is like asking someone to describe color. Just order some quality tubes and live your life. A proper bias will do more for your sound than any tube.

I stocked up on SED before the buyout/closure and if I had to buy EL34/6CA7s today, I would get the EH (as recommend by Suhr and Friedman).
                            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

6ca7, el34 II and at last E34L.

That the same tube sound differently under different brand make this more complicated. I'm a little bit lost.
                              I have no personal experience, but what I'm able to deduce here, and my recollection of earlier threads about tubes, 6CA7 are closest to what you want.

Or you can just order any regular EL34 and switch preamp tubes to JJ for that darker and fuller tone. That makes a bigger difference
                              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

6ca7, el34 II and at last E34L.

You havent been too open to my suggestions so far but if i were you id totally avoid JJ tube products, they are garbage. But just the fact you bring them up tells me you have no idea what you're doing. Also you seem to have an extreme case of GAS. Normally when asking a question its about an exchange of ideas to formulate an opinion based on fact. However you seem to want people to enable your choices which is kinda like an addictive personality thing. In any event i think i'll just block you as my life is full of BS already. Don't need added kaka.

Comment

Working...
                                X