banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EL34, 6Ca7, E34L or KT77 for Marshall amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EL34, 6Ca7, E34L or KT77 for Marshall amp?

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    I think what he is attempting to describe is the typical congested (thicker harmonics) mids of EL34s vs the more open mids of beam tetrodes. The EL34 is a pentode. The 6CA7 and the KT77 are not pentodes. They are beam tetrodes like a 6L6. This helps them to sound more open and clear in the upper mids when they start getting pushed.

The EH 6CA7 will give you more open upper mids compared to standard EL34s. So will the GL KT77. As has been noted, the Gold Lion KT77 is the more expensive option.
    Yes it's this weird frequency due to the el 34 that gives this tube this typically britisch brittle scratchy sound.
    I love the El 34 but I want less typically britisch brittle... But much more in the fender direction (without sounding like a fender). Juste only take this typically El 34 sound away.
    Something more defined/dry.
    Last edited by Micha; 12-22-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
      As i told you in your last thread the 9100 & 9200 are spec'd for 5881's not EL-34's.

Voicing for an amp occurs in the preamp not the power amp.

Whatever you use it won't change the tone hardly if any.

https://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/91009200.pdf
      Believe it or not but I think the power tube type has a huge factor in tone.

I find the smaller the tube, the easier breakup. The EL34 is perfectly in between the EL84 tone and the 5881 or 6L6 overhead without as much breakup. Country and metal usually require a 5881 or 6L6 amp to keep clean and crisp at high volume without clipping. The EL34 has nice mids with powerful bass and treble.

Comment

I would look at the tube reviews at www.thetubestore.com .

I've found them to be pretty accurate.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Breakfast of Champions ...

Comment

Working...
          X