katana/zoom/mooer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katana/zoom/mooer

Search isn't working for me at the moment, I found some stuff about mooer on here but through a google search and that is limited in actually giving me what I want.

Ok, this will be a bit long and possibly rambly.

Im looking for a way to move away from using my pc as my amp, due to what I normally do its not really able to open the programs for me at all times, and the time it takes to get the computer ready... I lose the want to play.

so I have been trying to find something to replace this and I have it down to a katana 50, a mooer ge200 or a zoom g5n

what I like doing is hearing a song and trying to mimic the sound, so in this regard the pedals both beat out the katana.
    teh katana 50, while its not bad sounding, sounds like crap compared to the 100 and the 100 is crap compared to the artist, but because I will 99.9% of the time go through headphones so the speakers not much of a loss to me, the bigger issue is almost any real change requires the use of a pc, and there are not enough patches on the 50, the 100 is a step up but 100$ for 4 more patches... ehhhh

listening to them all, i'm ok with the zoom g3n, the g5n, the mooer ge200, the ge150 and the katana sound... granted some of the katana sounds I have seen have been horribly butchered compared to the zoom and mooer.

now on the zoom and mooer side, the zoom beats out the mooer at stock, but the mooer has the ability to load irs, the mooer may also have better ability to load effects and such, zoom has a processing limit which it can hit before you load up all 7/9 effects.

I have considered if it was a major issue, using the zoom along with my pc to load an ir, or getting a mooer ir loader, but that would be down the line a bit.

does anyone have experience with any of these, and in the case of mooer, experience loading a custom paid or even free ir compared to the zoom series?

Just to add, i'm not looking for an amp/cabinet combo, i'm really only considering the katana because of how cheap it is along with the ability to go headphone and in the rare instance I would be able to play with speaker, a somewhat decent speaker. I have asked in other places and get told amp and cabinet combos that are cheap, and if I didn't have to worry about noise complaints, I could very easily see myself going that way, but i have paper thin walls and neighbors who it the ceiling just from tiptoeing.

im taking any advice and even alternatives that may be cheaper I don't know about into consideration, but i can't really go more expensive due to more expensive than a g5n starting at around 500$, that's just to big a jump for me at the moment. also, I know there are a few used solutions, but they require buying more and more software to unlock functionality, I would prefer a fairly full featured all in one, I believe the pods required 50+$ unlocks to do other genres, and they made packs for each one.

thank you in advance for any thoughts or experiences shared.

Re: katana/zoom/mooer

IMO, Headrush Gigboard is a big notch above Zoom and Mooer and the user interface is incredible. Boss MS-3 (or even GT-1) + Katana 50w might be a good solution also.
    BTW, you can put a midi bridge (midx-20 from http://www.primovasound.com) between the Katana and a midi pedalboard to recall patches and even do CC. Effects on the Katana are really good.
    I have the 50w, you need to "destress" the speaker.

Comment

Sorry, search should be up and working now.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd go with whatever suited your purpose. With a little tweaking you can get pretty similar tones from all of them (without splitting hairs)...so personal taste, ease of use, features, budget, portability etc..that's probably more of an issue.

I've tried the Zoom G5n and thought it sounded great but very (like really very) similar to the little Zoom G1X Four I already had ..too similar for me to justify the upgrade, so I went with something else. However if I was gigging with a modeler I'd definitely get the G5n over the G1X Four because of the flexibility it offers in a live situation...

Personally I ended up with a Mooer GE300 that I'm super happy with. If I was going strictly by the quality of the stock presets I'd pick a Hotone Ampero or Atomic Amplifire over anything out there (taking into account the cost/quality ratio), but I was'nt ..so I got the Mooer based on it's features. I'm getting the sweetest tones out of it with a little tweaking of the presets or making my own ones from scratch/capturing my own amp's tones (and there are plenty of presets in there that sound absolutely fantastic out of the box) While it's not the cheapest modeler going ..there's nothing out there that offer's anywhere near the bang for the buck overall & obviously feature-wise as far as I'm concerned which is why I chose it ...no regrets at all

They (Mooer) have a new one (GE250) just out this month that has the Tone capture feature aand seems to be somewhere between the GE200-GE300 feature-wise priced at $410 or something like that..about the same as the Hotone Ampero...there's also the Joyo Gembox III that's similar to the Mooer GE200 but has some extra stuff (XLR outputs etc)..have'nt heard it though.
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

My suggetion would be to ditch those choices and get a Line 6 HX Stomp. A bit more expensive, but the tones more than make up for the price difference.
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Yeah ...but can it do this?

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I don’t have any experience with those, but at home I either play though a Johnson J-Station or my iPhone using AmpliTube and the iRig2 interface.

I bought the J-Station used on eBay. It’s a great sounding amp sim.

I always used headphones at home. Most of the time I practice unplugged.

In regards to modeling amps, I use a Code100 combo live. If I was going to have a small amp at home I’d probably pick up a Code25 or 50. Just because my tones are in there. The amp has a headphone jack, but it lives at our rehearsal space.

The Katanas look nice if you just want a few clean to dirty tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ended up going with the ge200, apparently there was an amazon 'we done dropped this and ugh oh, sell it for what we can get for it' situation that saw me get it for 240$
                If the thing works and there is no issue, even if I ultimately sell it I will likely be able to get what I bought it for, but fingers crossed it does everything I want it to, granted, it is missing some things I liked in the zoom, but i'm also not a good enough player to justify paying much more then then what I did and the effects im missing, while it would be fun to play with, would ultimately be sounds I am not using all the time.

My main want is to get a sound out of this that isn't demoralizing, and this is where everything I was looking at comes together, they are all good enough to not be something I stow in the corner to connect dust, but ultimately the mooers external ir support and low cost won out.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions, while they were out of my price range this go around, they will definately be things I keep in mind for an upgrade or used

Comment

Rock that thing! Congrats on the purchase!
                  Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                  X