Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four ways to connect a capacitor

Hi!
    Not counting 50's wiring, there are four ways to connect a capacitor.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cap variations.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	5853209
    50/5000
    Will each of these ways work the same? Which way do you think is the best?
    Dirk Wacker said that method no two is the best because pot's wiper (middle lug) is connect to ground.
    "Electrically, the ’60s wiring is completely identical to the modern wiring with the same tone, behavior, and problems. But there is one significant difference: In terms of shielding, the ’60s wiring is superior to the modern wiring scheme. When electromagnetic interferences enter a guitar, they will also stray into the tone pot’s unused pin and therefore into the middle lug (the wiper) in both wirings. With the wiper connected to ground, as in the ’60s wiring, the interferences will stop at this point. But with the tone cap connected to the middle lug, like in the modern wiring, electromagnetic interferences will find their way through the cap and carry on."

Re: Four ways to connect a capacitor

Interesting. I’ve always done whatever is on the diagram I was using. Guess it’s time to experiment.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

They're all the same.....no need for experimentation.

This is the second time that article has come up as reference, and its just as misguided now as ever. Interference doesn't enter pot lugs - certainly not in anything close to our audible range. The antenna effect needs a much longer run to induce frequencies that are in the audible range......like the switch to jack wire run in a Les Paul for example.

Comment

I wouldn't trust much of anything I read in VG/Premier.

Comment

Working...
        X