Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The best cap material for tone pot

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    You're using a .010uf cap (pretty normal value), and what value resister?

You must be using modern wiring so that the tone is lowered as the volume is lowered?
    No, under 10 nf. I can't really say (or remember for that matter) exact values, as I just go with try and listen method to pick right ones for particular guitar.

I connect the pickup to middle wiper (for separate volumes for pickups) and use no load master vol after tone circuit. I don't know if that counts as "modern wiring"?
    Last edited by Jacew; 01-02-2020, 08:07 AM.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
      No, under 10 nf. I can't really say (or remember for that matter) exact values, as I just go with try and listen method to pick right ones for particular guitar.

I connect the pickup to middle wiper (for separate volumes for pickups) and use no load master vol after tone circuit. I don't know if that counts as "modern wiring"?
      It's "modern" if the tone circuit comes off of the vol pot input lug...doesn't matter if it is the first or middle lug. If the tone circuit comes off of the output lug on the vol pot it is 50's wiring.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        It's "modern" if the tone circuit comes off of the vol pot input lug...doesn't matter if it is the first or middle lug. If the tone circuit comes off of the output lug on the vol pot it is 50's wiring.
        Yep. Since I have no load master vol after the circuit, and volume for each pickup before it (albeit practically used to adjust tone rather than volume), I thought naming it either would just cause confusion...

If I need to adjust output without affecting high end I use pedal in my board after buffer.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
        X