Dimarzio Illuminator Bridge Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Illuminator Bridge Alternative

I've had the Illuminator set in my PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 for a few years now. Good for the most part, but want to try a different bridge pup. The main thing I don't like: the notched mids, cocked wah, upper mid spike, vocal "aww" sound, however you want to describe it, but you get the idea. Many Dimarzio pickups have this, as does the Seymour Duncan JB. Something that de-emphasizes that kind of thing, with a bit sweeter cleans, but still good with higher gain. Think Dream Theater level gain, and similar musical endeavors (at most), but also good for classic rock and hair metal. Still fairly open and detailed for chords, with good note separation. NOT dark and overly midrangey, but still possessing good crunch. Clear highs that are open, without being spikey. Finally, something that splits well, without a huge volume drop (some drop is to be expected).

I strongly considered the Seymour Duncan Pegasus before getting the Illuminator (I plan on keeping the neck pup). I have Wolfetones in my Les Paul (MK II bridge, Dr. Vintage neck), and couldn't be happier, with the pickups or Wolfe. I consider him a friend, and he suggested his Timbre Wolf. I know how he works with his customers to make them happy, so no worries there, but would still like some other opinions. For what I've described, has anyone tried the Timbre Wolf or Pegasus, and what are your thoughts? Any other suggestions? I will confess that I hope to get something from Wolfe that fits the bill. Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays.

Re: Dimarzio Illuminator Bridge Alternative

Comment

This is a good video of the seven string versions. The 6 string Pegasus is a good pickup. I feel it’s better sounding than the 7 string one. https://youtu.be/Gc69MNSCltM

Comment

If you think you'll like the Timbre Wolf, check out Duncan's Custom 5...quite similar. The 59/Custom hybrid also came to mind when I saw the other pickups you like.

The AT-1 mentioned above is a good one and would keep up with the Illuminator neck fairly well. It has decent tightness on the bottom and great harmonics with a smooth response up top.

JP also has his new Dreamcatcher bridge model that's sort of half-way between the Illuminator and the Sonic Ecstasy, blends the best of both IMO. Sticking with DiMarzio, the Satchur8 might be another contender. I found it to be similar to the Illuminator bridge in terms of output and it has a really nice crunch, but also a more rock-oriented flavor overall.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. Here is something I want much less of. It's cool sometimes, but I don't like not being able to dial it out.
          I'm looking for a humbucker that has that vocal kinda thing on single notes. The JB I have does it ridiculously well, but so much that chords seem too congested or thick. I remember having a couple Dimarzios that I did it too. Can't remember which ones, I really dig how the bent notes on all...

Comment

In your guitar's current form, I think you'd like pretty much any of the Custom series, to be honest. They tend to have a fairly even balance overall, decent tightness on the bottom, and have a nice openness without a pronounced upper-midrange hump like the JB, etc.

The AT-1, while JB-esque in output, is warmer and smoother, without the midrange hump of a JB, and a much crunchier/better controlled bottom end. I wouldn't rule it out in your case. It has balanced (matched) coils, so it doesn't have as much of that built-in wah thing as many DiMarzios do. Still expressive, though, but in a very organic way.
            Last edited by Masta' C; 12-10-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
              In your guitar's current form, I think you'd like pretty much any of the Custom series, to be honest. They tend to have a fairly even balance overall, decent tightness on the bottom, and have a nice openness without a pronounced upper-midrange hump like the JB, etc.

The AT-1, while JB-esque in output, is warmer and smoother, without the midrange hump of a JB, and a much crunchier/better controlled bottom end. I wouldn't rule it out in your case. It has balanced (matched) coils, so it doesn't have as much of that built-in wah thing as many DiMarzios do. Still expressive, though, but in a very organic way.
              Someone else suggested the Dimarzio Transition, which I previously considered. They said it doesn't have the vocal quality I wish to avoid. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

The Transition set is interesting. They have ceramic mags, but you can't really tell by playing them. They are also on the warmer/fuller side of the spectrum, but not dark, and have nice, bell-like harmonics. Personally, I like pickups with just a bit more edge and punch, but they are great, expressive pickups. As far as the vocal thing, the Transitions have mis-matched coils, so they do have a bit of that "DiMarzio" sound going on, but that's part of what makes them so expressive. I haven't tried splitting them, but I hear good things.

In general, I think many Duncans give you a brighter, more open, less midrange-dense sound, but the Transitions could be cool. Don't be *too* scared of the vocal thing. Every player/guitar/amp setup is different. They may work for you!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I talked to Wolfe at Wolfetone, and he has a barely used Timbre Wolf with a cover. It's zebra underneath, which is what I wanted anyway. He's going to remove the cover, clean it up, and sell to me at a significant discount. I can't pass that up, as I have read good things about it both clean and distorted. Just hope the low strings stay reasonably tight under higher gain levels (depending on the amp, of course---a Diezel VH4 is certainly tighter than an Orange OR120, regardless of the pickup), if not as percussive as with a ceramic magnet, and that it splits well without losing too much volume. If that pickup doesn't work out for me, I may try either the Dimarzio Transition or Duncan Custom 5. I do really like the Illuminator neck, and the bridge is great for chord work---just not crazy about it for clean settings, or on solo passages, at least on the top 3 strings. Don't like that upper mid spike. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!

Comment

I think you'll dig the Timbre Wolf. Glad you got a great deal, as well. If the Timbre Wolf doesn't do it for you, the Custom 5 won't either. Let us know what you think of it when you can!

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                      I think you'll dig the Timbre Wolf. Glad you got a great deal, as well. If the Timbre Wolf doesn't do it for you, the Custom 5 won't either. Let us know what you think of it when you can!
                      I wasn't sure earlier in this thread if you had tried the Timbre Wolf, but it's now apparent that you have. So, can you please describe the differences you've noted between that and the Custom 5? Wolfe describes his pickup as "slightly scooped", but he doesn't really like to assign numbers to tone ranges like SD or Dimarzio do. The Custom 5 seems to be advertised with bass at 6, mids 3, treble 7, output 14.1K (Timbre Wolf is around 14.5K). That's quite a mid scoop, on paper at least. I realize those numbers don't always translate precisely when it comes to actual use. I definitely don't hear a notched wah/mid spike tone in any of the demos I checked out, and I assume Wolfe's doesn't have it either. He said that, at least compared to the JB, the lows are tighter, and the upper mids & highs don't get as harsh. Between the 2, how would you say the lows compare in terms of tightness (with higher gain), and the prominence or degree of scoop in the mids? At the most extreme, Dream Theater type gain levels, and amp models with tight lows such as the Peavey 5150 or Diezel VH4, although I do often use classic rock (60's & 70's) amp models and settings. Of course, I do have other guitars with more vintage-voiced pickups, but the PRS is kinda my "metal guitar". I use Eminence CV-75 speakers, similar to Vintage 30's, but without the mid spike, and they produce nice, tight lows. I really appreciate the info you've given me so far, thanks!
                      Last edited by mflemmer2; 12-13-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I just read the following on another forum, which addresses the mids:
                        The Timbre Wolf is probably the one for this LP. I know the description says it is a little scooped but sometimes that just allows the guitar and amp's natural mids to come through stronger. The Duncan C-5 is like that as well although more heavily scooped.

Do you agree with that from your experience?

Comment

The Timbre Wolf and Custom 5 are siblings. They have their own personalities, but they clearly come from the same family. I tried them in different guitars, but the Timbre Wolf would be my choice between the 2, slightly less peaky up top as I recall and a little warmer overall.

That said, you shouldn't be afraid of the "scoop" idea. It's a hard thing to describe until you play it. It's not like the pickups are missing mids at all, just that they're not as dominant/forward in the way the pickup presents itself, but that also makes for a pickup that offers greater clarity under gain. For most rock and metal, it's ideal, actually. One of the most "scooped" pickups out there is the Steve's Special and Petrucci made several Dream Theater albums with that pickup. The Timbre Wolf and Custom 5 are nicer than the Steve's Special, in my opinion, and more versatile.

Plus, you can pull up the mids on your amp and really dial in a killer, heavy sound without things getting messy. As far as the low-end goes, the Timbre Wolf is plenty crunchy, not too loose. I think you'll find it works well with the models you mentioned. At least if you try it and figure out what you do/don't like, we can advise you further from there

Comment

Sorry, was writing my last post and didn't see your second response. I would agree with that sentiment. Like I said, given a choice, I'd go with the Timbre Wolf. I only mentioned the Custom 5 because it's 95% of the Timbre Wolf's tone for 1/2 the price, but you're getting a deal, so definitely stick with that!

Comment

Excellent, thank you so much for the helpful info. Forgot that Petrucci did use the Steve's Special a while back. I'm giving Wolfe a call, and will report back after trying it out. I'm decided, but out of curiosity, how would you compare the Custom 5 and Pegasus?
                              Last edited by mflemmer2; 12-15-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X