How would you wire this guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you wire this guitar?

Hey I've got this SG I'm finally getting around to fixing up. It needs a refret and all its hardware, but I'm unsure about how to wire it up. I'd like to have options.

It's an old SGII so it's something like this: Click image for larger version

Name:	kfhgksooqjotjiyp6uee.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	5853210

With a control plate something like this: Click image for larger version

Name:	a046eeb039bd95b513d6f06ef297ca3f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	5853211

Pretty sure those pickups were actually single coils but they're the size of mini humbuckers. I'm aiming to use Firebird pickups of some make in there, as opposed to a regular mini hum.

I'm having a new control plate made and I was thinking to make a spare blank one in case I wanna get wild but in either case I don't think I can fit much more than what it has under that control plate. My idea was maybe concentric pots so I'd have a volume and tone for each pickup, assuming they'll fit the depth of the control cavity. Then maybe a couple mini three way toggle switches for selecting which coil in the pickup, or both, but that would require 4 wire pickups and I think most of my Firebird pickup options are 2 conductor. Maybe keep those 2 way slide switches instead or go with 3 way sliders... The possibilities are kinda confusing. I've even considered thumbwheel type pots to go under the pickguard to get more tonal options.

Anyhow the idea of individual volume and tone control for each pickup is nice, as is the idea of phase and series/parallel switching, but assuming you're limited to a control cavity that big and two 2 conductor pickups, what would you do? Maybe just use the 2 way sliders and the holes you're given or maybe go with something custom. I'm just looking for ideas.

Heck I'd be curious to know what you'd do with 4 wire humbuckers in there as well. Any input is appreciated.

Re: How would you wire this guitar?

I love the idea of two volumes and tone controls and if it suits your needs try concentric pots. They are very easy to wire as well.

I only quickly glanced at the images but they look like mini humbuckers. I'd upgrade to some 4 wire mini humbuckers if possible. It all depends on the budget.

I'd probably just have a
    single volume (push pull) - easiest solution with the most versatility perhaps a coilsplit
    3 way toggle if it'll fit.
    with the two DPDT ON/ON switches
    1 - phase reverse
    2 - maybe a blower switch (brightens the guitar up, a slight boost of volume)

if coilsplit is off the table Arlo or Eldred cocked wah mod. It's a simple RC circuit to try out. Or switch to a really large tone capacitor such as 0.1uf (100nf) so you'll get extra warmth without the unicorn elixir of alnico or trying say pure nickel strings.

Last edited by shadowfire90; 12-10-2019, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Played a 3 mini sg back in the 90s and it was amazing...

Its far more common for me to play teles with a neck firebird, and firebirds and minis are rather different. Guessing fbs in an sg would cut well, but wonder if it would be thick enough?

With that in mind, i would consider putting pups in series.

Looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by zionstrat; 12-10-2019, 04:54 PM.
      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I like the idea of concentric pots but I'd just go with a three way toggle with minis.

Comment

Alright so I've found a builder that'll make FB pickups with AlNiCo 2, 3, or 5, and they do them with 4 conductor wiring. The 4 conductor thing opens up more crazy options. The ability to split coils and go parallel/series or in/out of phase with any coil combination would be nice. As well I think it might be possible to fit 4 pots with a standard toggle and maybe more, just given how the SG Deluxe of the day was laid out. Still overwhelming options but your input has been helpful.

Any ideas which magnets I should go with? I was originally thinking A5 in the bridge and A2 in the neck but A3 could be nice. I'm in a rock band so A5's might be the safe bet, but I like eating my cake and having it too, so a pickup that cleans up well is also desirable.

Comment

Working...
          X