Really Low Output from Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Low Output from Pickups

A little while ago I did some work on a friend's Tele. She brought it back to me last week, thinking that there was an issue with the jack socket. I checked it out, and it all looks good, but the output of the guitar is extremely low in all positions. The pickup selector and tone control all works, just barely any output. Any ideas what might cause this? Dodgy volume pot? It is probably a couple of years since I did the work on it last, and it's been fine up until now...

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Re: Really Low Output from Pickups

It would be my guess that the pots could be the culprit. Maybe they just are transferring the signal correctly.
    Check you ground connections all around as well. While you’re at it check the jack too....you might have good solder joints but if the jack is faulty that wouldn’t matter.

Might be as simple as a loose wire that’s barely making contact somewhere.
    The good news is that an electronics gut job is cheap and easy.

Comment

Is anything crackling? I've had similar problems with a switch and a pot going bad. With the pot, just turning it back and forth a whole bunch seemed to help for a little while. With the switch it was a goner . . . it had developed some corrosion on the internal contacts.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I checked the jack first, as that's where she thought the problem was, and it looks ok. Can't hear any crackling, it sounds as if everything is working, just really, really quiet.

Comment

did it meter ok at the jack?

Comment

Yup.

Comment

I'm going to take it all out tomorrow and see what I find.

Comment

Working...
              X