Thread: Need DMZ Recommendations and wiring help

Default Need DMZ Recommendations and wiring help

Hey guys! I have a basswood RG with floating trem. Chopper neck, Evolution single middle, Evolution bridge. 500k vol and 250k tone. The Chopper sounds great. The Evolution bridge is a little too over the top for my tastes. The Evolution single in the middle doesn’t seem to have much impact on the 2 and 4 positions.

I’m stuck.

Help.

Default Re: Need DMZ Recommendations and wiring help

Throw a Cruiser Bridge in the middle position and try an Evo 2 or AT-1 in the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    Throw a Cruiser Bridge in the middle position and try an Evo 2 or AT-1 in the bridge.

Thanks. Great idea. Do you think I should keep the tone at 250k or bump it up to 500k? Will it make that big of a difference? I like the Chopper in the neck a lot and don’t really wanna screw that tone up.

Ugh HSS can be a pain

If it were me, I'd do 500K. You can always wire in a resistor so the neck pickup "sees" that 250K load, but you might like the tone with 500K also...same overall sound, just a little more clear and present up top really.

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    I agree, love the AT-1.

Maybe swap the bridge volume to 250k or add a capacitor to make the evolution more useful for your tastes

I suspect the middle position is an autosplit mod, even though the evolution middle pickup is surprisingly high in DC resistance positions 2 and 4 are there for hum cancellation to emulate a strats. Perhaps try the evolution middle pickup in another build and use something hum cancelling in the middle. See what excites you as I'm not a big middle single coil fan.

if you do go with a hum cancelling strat pickup in the middle what happens is you get rid of the autosplit mod. This way you get more power out of positions 2 and 4. The difference in how you'd wire it is like a strat and tele became one.

Whale the AT 1 is nice I REALLY like the Vai Gravity Storm bridge I have in my Carvin ST 300. Just a HUGE sounding A5 pickup that is very dynamic and expressive. Fat and chewie big overwound PAF tone that is defined and very smooth with a moderate output.
    Here is a Dimarzio Gravity Storm vs EVO demo
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-10-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

The Evo is very mids/upper-mids focused, wheras the GS is much more low-mids focused, as you can hear in the video. Like an improved Tone Zone in some ways or a Breed/Evo hybrid.

The Evo 2 is really just a tamer Evo, still very forward and cutting, but not as aggressive as the original. Much more pleasant to work with.

The AT-1 is a reliable rocker, very balanced and full sounding without being either too dark or too bright. Great harmonics, nice crunch on the low end.

Ultimate Tone Member

Cut the volume to 8 or 9 to cut some of that hair off of the evo.

Check the wiring for the 2 and 4 positions. Are the neck and bridge pickups wired to split coil?
    How is the middle pickup height?

Change the tone pot to 500k. Otherwise, the volume drop to 8 or 9 will get too muddy.

While the AT-1 is my favorite bridge DMZ, I would suggest swapping the ceramic magnet in the EVO for an RCA5 (rough cast Alnico 5). This may dial it back enough for you and will only cost you a couple dollars and some time.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues