No announcement yet.

The Mesa Mini Rectifier Twenty-Five!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Mesa Mini Rectifier Twenty-Five!

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
    I actually recall Mesa saying other than looks and reverb it is the same exact amp as the mini rectifier.
    Well, the reverb does add an extra tube to the circuit. The Rectoverb also has a choke and the Mini Rec doesn't.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-13-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
      Do you have any significant volume drop with the mismatch?
      I recall reading that matched settings and lower Ω ratings are somewhat louder and bassier, but I haven't tested this against an 8Ω 2x12. I would assume it's not more than a few dB.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Well, the reverb does add an extra tube to the circuit. The Rectover also has a choke and the Mini Rec doesn't.
        What does a choke do for the sound of an amp? I'm not very tech-savvy so I have no idea what that is haha. Of course I've heard that term flying around a couple times....
        Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
        OwnHammer.com

Comment

chokes are filters that are used to smooth out ripples in the power supply

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            I can only imagine that 25 watts through an efficient 1x12 or 2x12 (or 10's for that matter) in a small room, would sound just fine and keep up with a sane drummer.
            I've had to turn down my Tweaker with a band in the past, but I can get the power tubes working nicely.
            Using a closed back 2x12 with a V30 and a K100 speaker, which are efficient but not the most efficient speakers out there either.
            Mind you, I understand I don't have a 100W monster so I really focus my tone in the right frequencies rather than aim for a massive wall of Recto tone or something.
            Last edited by Diego; 12-14-2019, 12:40 PM.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              chokes are filters that are used to smooth out ripples in the power supply
              Pardon my ignorance, but how do ripples in the power supply affect the sound? I'm honestly very interested to know!
              Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
              OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                I can only imagine that 25 watts through an efficient 1x12 or 2x12 (or 10's for that matter) in a small room, would sound just fine and keep up with a sane drummer.
                More than that with the right 25 watt amp!! This is my little Zinky 25 watt Blue Velvet unmiced outdoors running a Blackstar 1/12 and the internal 12 ( Both WGS a ET 90 in the combo and a Retro 30 in the cab) and trust me I had a LOT more volume in the amp but would have had a hard time hearing the rest of the band from where I was standing if I turned up any more!

Don't discount that little Boogie as the little 20 watt Subway Rocket I have is an absolute BEAST!! These little Boogies are no joke!!
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
                  Pardon my ignorance, but how do ripples in the power supply affect the sound? I'm honestly very interested to know!

Mike Soldano explains here that a choke helps eliminate low frequency sag.

Comment

Working...
                  X