X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling A Bound Neck

Can you roll the bound fretboard edges?
    I have rolled the unbound fretboards in my collection

Is it possible to roll bound ones as well?

I had always thought of those as just the way they are
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Re: Rolling A Bound Neck

Sure, just use a razor and go slow.

Roman shows ya

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Another one

I use a thinner razor and just drag it up and down the whole neck. Light pressure and the razor passes over the frets.
      -Chris

Comment

I had an SG that someone sanded down the binding so that it was super thin at the fretboard. That neck felt wonderful.

Comment

I've never rolled fretboard edges with the frets in before. :P

The razor blade method looks like the way to go to do this.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I've never rolled fretboard edges with the frets in before. :P

The razor blade method looks like the way to go to do this.
            You should always roll the edges after the frets are installed. Doing it before undercuts the fret ends.

You want it to look like this (extreme example, but same idea)

Last edited by Ayrton; 12-10-2019, 10:15 PM.
            -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
              You should always roll the edges after the frets are installed. Doing it before undercuts the fret ends.

I agree; rolling the edge of the fretboard before the frets are in simply makes the ends of the frets stand MORE proud, which works against the whole idea of rolling the board.

I typically use Micro-Mesh pads to break that corner after finishing up the fretwork, polishing until the ends of the frets are rounded and smooth, and the sharp corner of the board between the frets is slightly softened.

Larry

Comment

Wow! Talk about a beauty to behold!

Comment

That general approach is what the edges of fretboards and frets should look like for best playability. The extremes of them not being this way, and a poorly cut nut, are the overwhelming factors resulting in a guitar that feels like a "cheap guitar." Do this to any old "crappy" $150 guitar (along with the installation of a hand cut nut), and it will play better than a new Gibson.

I've heard lots of online people complain about strings pulling off the edges...but that's just a sign that someone has done it wrong. If done properly, there should be a very minimal, if any, difference in how deeply the fret bevels go in from the ends of the frets. They just get a hell of a lot smoother to move over.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

That does look pretty . . . although I haven't run into the undercut fret ends thing you're talking about. After rolling when you finish refretting the dressing you give to the fret ends is maybe slightly more involved with rolled edges (you've got to round the fret ends a bit more than you would otherwise), but ends up being very comfortable to play.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                    X