Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suhr PT100 vs Splawn Quick Rod

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
    Ignore the folks who tell you a QR can't do '80s death metal. Look up live vids of the band "Oath of Cruelty"; one of their guitarists uses a KT88 Pro Stock (which was the one-channel version of the QR) when he plays live, and he gets an absolutely lethal death/thrash tone out of it.
    I find my QR can cover a lot of musical ground. From classic Marshall tones to outright brutal high gain. Best amp I’ve ever owned.

Comment

What about Ceriatone? I'm looking at a few of their models and they seem too good to be true.

Comment

I think you want a Marshall JVM, bro.
        Those are bright, tight and will do death metal all day long.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
          I think you want a Marshall JVM, bro.
          Those are bright, tight and will do death metal all day long.
          I didn't like how modern they sounded when I played one years ago. Old School death metal doesn't sound much like the newer stuff imo.

Comment

Laney VH100R then? Those have terrible resale so they're usually cheap used...

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
              Laney VH100R then? Those have terrible resale so they're usually cheap used...
              I had a GH100L and wasn't a fan, too thin and brittle. The gain was enough but the voicing was meh, how similar is the VH100R to the GH?

Comment

Originally posted by Seamus McFlanery View Post
                I had a GH100L and wasn't a fan, too thin and brittle. The gain was enough but the voicing was meh, how similar is the VH100R to the GH?
                No experience with the GH here. A friend had a VH100R and I really liked it.
                Hope you get something you dig and let us know how it goes. I'll throw some ideas I've only read about that aren't unobtanium:

Egnater Vengeance/Armageddon
                Peavey 6534
                Peavey Butcher (Bill Kelliher of Mastodon swears by them)
                Marshall KK2203 (I guess it's pricy but...)
                Maybe a Blackstar of some sort? Those seem to do it all.
                EDIT: ENGL Blackmore maybe?
                Last edited by Diego; 12-18-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Used VHT/Fryette Deliverance, or Pittbull

Comment

I’m with the Splawn folks on this one. The early QRs are known as very tight, articulate (unforgiving) amps. If your chops aren’t dialed in, an early QR will expose you. But if your chops are solid, you will sound like a God through a Splawn in a way that more compressed amps just seem to cover up. The newer Splawns with the Drop B+ add just the right amount of touch responsiveness without being too squishy. The most recent Splawns with the mid cut/boost and old/new voicing switches are some of the best sounding, most versatile amps I’ve ever played.

The Nitro has a touch more low-mid to the overall voicing, more gain on tap overall, and a Resonance knob - all of which may make it a better choice for modern metal. But I will say that the QR in 3rd gear (highest gain on the QR) with the mid cut switch engaged and set to ‘new’ voicing brings you solidly into Nitro territory. Switch the mids back in, switch to the ‘old’ voicing, and switch back to 1st Gear (Plexi voicing) and you literally cannot believe you are playing through the same amp.

There is a characteristic to the Splawns that makes them really shine in a live band situation or recording in a full band mix. Some of these ultra compressed ‘boutique’ amps sound incredible in the music store - and make it feel like your guitar is practically playing itself... But add a kick drum and a snare and a cymbal or two along with a bass guitar and that smooth, creamy guitar tone just gets buried deeper and deeper behind all those competing frequencies. The Splawn seems to stay ‘out front’ in a way that is hard to describe but easy to identify when you hear it in the crowd or feel it from the stage.

FWIW - I am biased - I owned an earlier 100 watt QR and a 100 watt Nitro. I very reluctantly sold them both to buy brand new fully loaded 50 watt versions of each amp directly from Scott. And I could not be happier. These fully loaded 50s are such incredible amps. I really don’t need them both, but it is nice having options.
                    Last edited by PDC; 12-26-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X