• Show
Clear All

• Silvertone Barn Find

Click image for larger version

Name:	4242A622-EEC8-468A-ADAA-0AA912F13045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5853218

While visiting a friend we stopped by an old friend of his. This dude played in a band with the same guys for 40 years. In his barn he has quite a setup, small stage, drum set, monitors, equipment everywhere.
    He had an Ibanez on a stand that must have been sitting there for quite sometime as the strings were rusty and it was way out of tune. I asked him if he still played and he said not much anymore because of the arthritis in his hands and fingers. So, he just sits and sings Karaoke which he is very good at.
    He said see that case of there? Open it up, so I did. He says that case hasn’t been open in probably 30 years. In it is the guitar above. He said it was bought sometime in the sixties.
    Is it worth anything and should it be cleaned up or just left alone?
    I’ll be going back in a couple of weeks to play with him and the few remaining members of the band. He says he might let me take it and clean it up.

Re: Silvertone Barn Find

That’s a 1966-67 Harmony Bobcat, which was also sold through Sears as a Silvertone.

Definitely worth something. Clean it up but don’t change any parts.

The pickups are DeArmond-Rowe gold foil type pickups. They sound nice and clean.

Here’s one on Reverb

Great condition all-original 1966 Silvertone Bobkat. This model has been cleaned and refurbished inside and out, include complete disassembly and reassembly with absolutely no aftermarket parts. This unit is the 1966 model fitted with two pickups, two volume and two tone knobs, and a fully functi...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

LOVE those pickups they are perfect for nailing period-correct tones. Playability might be an issue most of those guitars had a lot of fight in the action. But if you like a high action or play slide that is a gem.

Comment

Rockabilly with that little guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

plug that into a small old amp and its a fun slide rig for sure!

Comment

love those old harmony/silvertone guitars. those pickups are really great for bluesy/mild-rock/jazzy type sounds. My buddy had that exact guitar as his first... gave it to his sister-in-law. Bet he wishes he could get that back.
            I would say - don't clean it. A guitar like that has a petina (not that they are ultra valuable) and that is half the charm. If you do insist on cleaning it I would only use a damp cotton cloth and do so sparingly. Just my 02. cool find, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1434.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	5817813

This is a 1956 Harmony H44... My wife bought it at a yard sale for $15.00, it had a broken pickguard, and needed to be rewired, but it works great, has a nice dark tone and loves a slide!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
              X