screw poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screw poles

I am swapping some of my better pups out of guitars to sell the guitars. I have a pickup I was going to put in one, but the pole screws are gold and the other pup, they are silver. Are screws generally similar on most pickups? Im guessing so. Just wanted to ask before I swap em out. thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: screw poles

On most, yes. Especially Gibson, Duncan, etc

Comment

Fillisters are generally the same. I think there is metric and standard threading?

Dimarzio and duncan hex poles are completely different

Comment

Argh!! Half the screw poles I tried to harvest were a diff size (too fat) and so I pulled poles from a dead Gibson 500t and they are the same diameter, but they are twice as long. trying to use them even tho Ive ripped my hands bleeding trying to screw em in... Jeez.. wondering it its worth it to keep the good pups out of these guitars...??? Im hoping the long ones wont matter since they will be hanging from a ring.....
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Longer screws will warm up the response a tad, but it won't make a big difference overall and the pickup(s) will continue to work just fine

Comment

Thats what I thought! Just that the whole project has been a pita thus far and so I figure will be my luck to get it all wired in and..........nada

Its funny, I used to like swapping pickups (AH, brainfart.. Its more enjoyable when you are putting in something new and anticipating a better tone!!) But swapping them out to sell is a pain. That and I dont know what it is, but I used to be quick and efficient and all, but now everything I do goes wrong and so on takes forever..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'm getting tired of pickup swaps myself, though maybe for different reasons. I've been on these forums for 10 years (no idea where those years went!) and lurked for at least 2-3 years before that. I've suffered so much GAS through these pages, I'm starting to burn out! Heck, so are my soldering irons!

I'm less motivated to try "new" pickups these days and really just want to lock in the configurations of a few core guitars and leave 'em. I bought a couple final pickups to try that I've been curious about and I'm not planning on buying any/many more. Once the core family is locked in, I plan to sell everything else, including my extra guitars, spend a little more time dialing in my amp/effects and becoming a better player overall. If I took all the hours I've spent researching/buying/swapping pickups and played instead, I'd be twice as good!

There's something freeing about going back to basics and not having so many "things" vying for my time. When this is all said and done, I hope you feel the same.

Comment

^ That's among the best posts I've ever read on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                  I'm getting tired of pickup swaps myself, though maybe for different reasons. I've been on these forums for 10 years (no idea where those years went!) and lurked for at least 2-3 years before that. I've suffered so much GAS through these pages, I'm starting to burn out! Heck, so are my soldering irons!

I'm less motivated to try "new" pickups these days and really just want to lock in the configurations of a few core guitars and leave 'em. I bought a couple final pickups to try that I've been curious about and I'm not planning on buying any/many more. Once the core family is locked in, I plan to sell everything else, including my extra guitars, spend a little more time dialing in my amp/effects and becoming a better player overall. If I took all the hours I've spent researching/buying/swapping pickups and played instead, I'd be twice as good!

There's something freeing about going back to basics and not having so many "things" vying for my time. When this is all said and done, I hope you feel the same.
                  Thing is, sometimes you just want to play music. So we go to something we know can work, and maybe alter the sound another way. The main thing for me is to get to a place where I feel comfortable playing. I don't like endless gear videos, or super pickup swapping, or trying out every amp in the world. Maybe at one time I did, but I always did that so I could get back to playing and recording.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                    Argh!! Half the screw poles I tried to harvest were a diff size (too fat) and so I pulled poles from a dead Gibson 500t and they are the same diameter, but they are twice as long. trying to use them even tho Ive ripped my hands bleeding trying to screw em in... Jeez.. wondering it its worth it to keep the good pups out of these guitars...??? Im hoping the long ones wont matter since they will be hanging from a ring.....
                    If you have a Dremel it's pretty easy to shorten them with one of the little cutting wheels.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Dont have a Dremel or Id have done that. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post

AMEN! Absolutely well said, I am absolutely there now! I do really hate parting with the guitars though, but it isn't GAS anymore. Its honestly that I really love each one I have and fear that Ill sell something and have a deep regret. I just want to make sure I chose the "right" keeper. And, to make things more front and center, due to health things and most likely carpal tunnel in my left wrist, i really want to get to the playing while I can. Great post! Lets get rockin!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                        X