Why does'nt SD offer a Antiquity 59 set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does'nt SD offer a Antiquity 59 set

Honestly, I think folks should pick whatever gets them the tone they're after. The push for every detail being vintage correct is great if you're just obsessive over stuff like that, but you aren't going to convince me brass vs. steel screws in the pickup's base are going to be the magic difference.

I prefer PAF style winds with A2 magnets. Did real PAFs have A2 magnets? I have no idea. From what I understand (which could be wrong), they had A2, A4, A5 and even some A3. A5s may (or may not) have been unoriented depending on who you talk to. I don't care. The current production winds with A2 magnets sound like a PAF is supposed to sound to my ears. I want a clone of the sound, not the materials.

Antiquities are fantastic pickups. 59s are fantastic pickups. They're 2 ways of approaching the same general tone. The 59s are potted and a little hotter with the A5 magnets -- that last part is on purpose because the idea was to give PAF tone with lighter strings. But for me, the records I like were generally recorded with lighter strings, so I prefer A2s because they have that spongier low end. The Antiquities have A2s that are supposedly lightly degaussed (or "Dunaged" whatever that means). All I know is they sound amazing. The Custom Shop Pearly Gates set I have also has A2 magnets, but has a significantly hotter and grittier tone to it. The thing is -- it's the same basic tone. That spongier low end, midrange emphasis, etc. They sound "right" to me.

Antiquity 59s would be awesome for discussion sake, and if you like 59s better than the others, I wouldn't hesitate to get in contact with the Custom Shop and have MJ wind you a set. You'll love them. I just wouldn't expect any more magic. They'll almost certainly sound like a set of 59s. That's a good thing, but you have to decide if it's worth the money.

Comment

Working...
    X