Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does'nt SD offer a Antiquity 59 set

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
    Totally agree with Jeremy. The roughcast will add some subtle characteristics, but for a more aged sound and response, you'll want un-oriented A5. $5 and 10 minutes to do the swap. Here's where most of us buy ours: LINK
    This. Although depending on the guitar I would go A4 neck, RCUOA5 bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      That's a pretty significant upcharge for a weaker magnet. I think any of the other methods mentioned above, particularly swapping the mag yourself, are better ideas.
      But I think the aging is also what you are paying for, and people like MJ winding it.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        Despite popular belief, magnets do not degauss to any significant degree (at least in terms of guitar pickups). I never thought the '59 was much a vintage vibe compared to say the Antiquities.
        I'm glad someone is mentioning this. Alnico magnets take eons to degauss to any notable degree on their own. External factors can cause premature degaussing, of course, but a 40 year-old pickup's magnet today, if unadulterated, will have 99.999% of the charge it left the factory with.

That said, gauss does affect the character of the magnet and controlling that aspect is yet another tool in the pickup-maker's toolbox.

Comment

Just get unplated nickel covers, an A4 magnet (if you can find a degaussed A4, good for you!) and for less than 50 bucks you can augment two '59's. Bit of wax, bit of solder and elbow grease and you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            Just get unplated nickel covers, an A4 magnet (if you can find a degaussed A4, good for you!) and for less than 50 bucks you can augment two '59's. Bit of wax, bit of solder and elbow grease and you're done.
            Tried the A4 , it balanced the pickup EQ wise but it didn't give it any special vibe other than that .
            I think some of the mojo is in degaussing and magnet choice .
            Wonder what an A3 would sound like in the neck .

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
              I much prefer the A3 (and UOA5) in a '59n. Solves the boominess/muddiness issues. I was not a fan of the A4, too sterile and Hi-Fi for my tastes. YMMV......
              Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
              "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

A4 is clear but can be bland, in my experience. Many guys like it though.

I'm a fan of A3 in the neck, also. Cleans things up, but still has character.

Comment

I'm currently using an A3n/A2b-modded, nickel covered '59 set on my ES-339.

I gives me the perfect tone-footprint for the Smooth Jazz project band I play with. Perfect for the Dumble-esque OD provided by a Hermida Zendrive pedal as well

Using Amplitube 4, I've been able to nail Chuck Loeb's iconic clean tone on the neck p'up, although some tweaking is required.

YMMV.

/Peter
                  Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                  Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Why does'nt SD offer a Antiquity 59 set
                    Originally posted by Discharged View Post
                    The Co. doesn't listen to anybody without really very deep pockets or stardom status.

For over 3 decades I've been using the 59's in almost every type of guitar and they have always been winners , just the right amount of vintage output and I think they would sound even better if they were aged like the A2 Ants they offer .
                    Your answer is in post #2.

If you've been using the 59 "for over 3 decades", you should already have what beau is talking about or an equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post

Your answer is in post #2.

If you've been using the 59 "for over 3 decades", you should already have what beau is talking about or an equivalent.
                      And again , what is a 59J set ?
                      If that means MJ wound them , well I've already been down that road and they still miss something .
                      My guess is to NOT to pot them and degauss the A5 magnet , but I don't build pickups .

Comment

Tried the A4 , it balanced the pickup EQ wise but it didn't give it any special vibe other than that .
                        I think some of the mojo is in degaussing and magnet choice .
                        A4 would actually, imho, be better in the neck and an a3 better in the bridge, because of what the magnets bring to the tonal table (a4 will flatten the EQ giving you more of a flutey quality to the neck tone and the A3 bumps the midrange giving you a more throaty tone in the bridge).

UOA5 works fine as well.

Comment

If you want an aged 59 set built by MJ, you have 2 choices- buy a vintage set, or contact her through the Custom Shop and she will build one for you. That is a long way from 'not available'.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And again , what is a 59J set ?
                            If that means MJ wound them , well I've already been down that road and they still miss something .
                            My guess is to NOT to pot them and degauss the A5 magnet , but I don't build pickups .
                            Sounds like you want a custom set of A5 Antiquities, if I add all the descriptions together. But a better route is to just tell the custom shop what you want them to sound like, what guitar they are going in and what amp you use. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Comment

I think some custom shop 59s would end up good for what you're after. There are at least 3 things that would contribute to more mojo. Could go with beat up A5s like the beat up A2s in the Ants. Unpotted gives it more openness. Plus the aging they do gives it more mojo and sweetness. Not to mention that they might do something to the wind. Maybe maybe not. I think they would come out well. Anyways, those are the specs I'd go for if I were trying to maximize vintage sounding 59s.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Ok , before going high dollar CS order , going to try unpotted 59's as soon as I can find an A3 and OAA5 mag to swap in it .
                                Should get me real close to the vintage 59 vibe , minus degaussing the mags like SD does to the Ants .
                                Last edited by JB6464; 12-17-2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X