Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Helix + Powercab loud enough?

Hey there guys,

So i recently joined a death metal band from Germany.
    I am really interested in getting a Line 6 Helix and i am just asking myself if the Powercab would hold up against a Mesa Recitifer with a 4x12 cab in terms of volume ?

Did any of you have any expierence with the powercab? Or should i go for an poweramp (thought about the seymour duncan powerstage 170) and regular guitar cab?

Watch how headless guitars are made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQD8MtQeiVQ&t=16s

www.claasguitars.com

Re: Line 6 Helix + Powercab loud enough?

In my lived experience, solid state amps get swallowed whole by tube amps in a live mix. If you already own the Line 6 rig, try it, but if I were you I'd be looking for a 6505 or a 5150 or a modern Orange to compliment and contrast the Mesa sound.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Just go direct, use IEMs, and let the monitors onstage do all the real work.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Just go direct, use IEMs, and let the monitors onstage do all the real work.
        In a live situation i definitively would do that. In my case i thought about mainly using it at rehearsals. And we unfortunately do not have any IEM yet.

Watch how headless guitars are made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQD8MtQeiVQ&t=16s

www.claasguitars.com

Comment

Some good sounding cheap IEMs are the KZ AS10 model.

There is the tech21 deuce deluxe that gets good reviews. Look in those too, might be cheaper than the Powercab, haven't checked.

Comment

Rectifiers are fairly flexible when it comes to volume, no? He'll probably win a volume war, but you should be able to be heard over your drummer, and that is really what matters the most in practice: if need be, the other guy can turn down.
            Last edited by Sirion; 12-28-2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

You should buy one locally from a store with a good return policy and try it out. I'd hope they made them loud enough, otherwise what's the point?

Another cheaper option to consider is a PA speaker.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

It *should* be loud enough for a reasonable rehearsal, but who knows if the other musicians practice at a reasonable volume.

Comment

As said, it should be loud enough for reasonable volume levels, even loud levels, but your other guitarist with the Mesa will probably be able to overpower you if he wants to. It's not just the power or tubes vs SS, he's running a 4-12 so he can move a lot of air. But, if you have a decent PA for practice, you can run through your powercab and the PA and get your sound spread out and heard.

Another thing to consider is image (yeah, I hate to say it), but you said death metal band, and 4-12s behind the guitarists do look cool. You could get a 4-12 cab and a power amp, like the ISP Stealth or a Duncan Powerstage and run the Helix through that with the cab sim turned off.

I'm not super familiar with the Helix, but I use a GT-1000 and I can run XLR outs to the board or interface and 1/4" outs to a power amp and cab (with cab sims off on the 1/4" outs) or my JBL 610s (with the cab sims on) if I want, although most of my playing is done direct with in-ears. But I have hooked it up both ways at home to play around with, because I could.

Comment

I have a Digitech GNX 3000 floor pedal
                    And a Carvin powered speaker

It holds it's own with a Fender Twin

The Carvin speaker is 400 watts class D
                    It wont get drowned out

If your band is rehearsing at competition volume
                    Your career will be short as all will be deaf before the gig
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My guitarist uses a Fractal AxeFX8 and the Duncan PowerStage 170, through a 4x12 cab and it's plenty loud and clear. We play Doom/Death metal and his rig is plenty powerful enough to handle it. Powered cabs are cool but I find the combo of the PS-170 and a full sized cab to just work perfectly for having a loud, brutal tone. For us though it also makes more sense because it is more portable, easier to travel with and just play through borrowed backline, or have a cab at home and a cab at the rehearsal room and only have to carry the pedal board with the FX and 170 and guitars back and forth. I'm too old to be carrying a powered cab everywhere

Comment

This is really a question for the drummer....

The louder the drums, the louder the guitars will end up. Death metal drums at rehearsal will not be quiet. They don't need to be Mount Vesuvius exploding loud, but reasonable to play that won't be right on reasonable, most likely. But I'd say it should be alright. Nice thing is if it isn't, get another power cab. In the end, you CAN defeat the evil forces of Mesa, but it may take a few cabs...
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by RevDoom73 View Post
                          My guitarist uses a Fractal AxeFX8 and the Duncan PowerStage 170, through a 4x12 cab and it's plenty loud and clear. We play Doom/Death metal and his rig is plenty powerful enough to handle it. Powered cabs are cool but I find the combo of the PS-170 and a full sized cab to just work perfectly for having a loud, brutal tone. For us though it also makes more sense because it is more portable, easier to travel with and just play through borrowed backline, or have a cab at home and a cab at the rehearsal room and only have to carry the pedal board with the FX and 170 and guitars back and forth. I'm too old to be carrying a powered cab everywhere
                          This sounds like a great compromise. I've heard the 170 into a regular cab, and it is seriously loud.

Comment

Originally posted by RevDoom73 View Post
                            I love my PowerStage 170 and AX8 setup. It's loud and can keep up with the rest of the band in a room or on a stage. In fact, it can be TOO loud sometimes, haha. The portability and ease of transport is a HUGE advantage as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BaritoneVitoND View Post
                              I love my PowerStage 170 and AX8 setup. It's loud and can keep up with the rest of the band in a room or on a stage. In fact, it can be TOO loud sometimes, haha. The portability and ease of transport is a HUGE advantage as well.
                              While I don't have a PowerStage, I use an AX8, and I can imagine how good this must sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X