Using a multimeter for pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a multimeter for pups?

Ive avoided asking this for many years due to pride. However, I figure I have the darn thing and its not getting used and also, I have pups to check.. So, i figure Im being more dumb by NOT asking.
    Anyhow, I have a CEn Tech 7 function digital multimeter that I bought at harbor Freight. There are soo many different settings and options on it. Ive read the directions, but obviously, guitar pickups are not covered. haha What setting do you use to measure pups? and, where do you put the leads for the meter to the pickup? I think I can figure that out with trial and error, but I just have to know where to set the meter.. Thanks

ps, I can check: DCV/ACV/ DCA/ 1.5v-9v/10a/hfe and then I have 2000k,200k,20k,2000,200 in an area with horseshoe'

Inputs for my leads include 10ADC /VhorseshoemA /or one marked COM
    there is also alittle blue wheel that is the transistor /HFE jack, but a little detent in that makes it look like it shouldnt be moved, ?

Since the unit is so old and never used, I put a new battery in.. haha
    Last edited by BloodRose; 12-13-2019, 11:23 AM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Using a multimeter for pups?

youd use the 20k horseshoe (ohm) setting and one lead in horseshoe and one in com

the ohm symbol suggests resistance and since most pups are between 6k and 16k ohms, you use the 20k setting. if you were testing the slug (48k) youd want the next setting up, 200k

the little blue wheel is for testing transistors, it wont move or at least shouldnt. you push the different legs of a transistor into the appropriate slots to test

Comment

Thanks Bro! I have readings now! Not sure how correct as they are fluxing all over the place. Ill experiment with the black and red cables and what wires. At least I have reference point. Made my day! Thank you!!!! Ive had this thing for so long and gotten no use out of it...
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

It helps to stabilize the readings by soldering alligator clips onto the test leads.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

you could do that but i never have. since you are measuring resistance, it doesnt matter which lead from the meter is on which pup wire. i usually just hold the wire against the lead with my fingers but i do have clips around if i need more hands. depending on how long youve had it, might be worth checking the battery

Comment

always remember with 4 wire pickups such as a Seymour Duncan JB as it's always one of the first to come to mind to twist the bare wires together. For example red/white (coilsplit) and green/bare.

The big mistake a lot of people I've seen doing lately is measure pickups from the input jack. You'll get a reading but it isn't accurate. I can just imagine all the phone calls to passive pickup makers that they find stock in their guitar, I thought my pickup was 16k why is it 14k, send me a new one or else.

Here's a video that will make you a pro on the subject, there is a few I'd recommend but this one was already in my book marks. Collin (CSguitars) and Dylan talks tone are channels I highly recommend to check out to learn everything about the electric guitar. There are a lot of others that do a fantastic job too but those are the first two I always recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              you could do that but i never have. since you are measuring resistance, it doesnt matter which lead from the meter is on which pup wire. i usually just hold the wire against the lead with my fingers but i do have clips around if i need more hands. depending on how long youve had it, might be worth checking the battery
              I just replaced battery today as the orig one was dead. sitting for several years,,,

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
                always remember with 4 wire pickups such as a Seymour Duncan JB as it's always one of the first to come to mind to twist the bare wires together. For example red/white (coilsplit) and green/bare.

The big mistake a lot of people I've seen doing lately is measure pickups from the input jack. You'll get a reading but it isn't accurate. I can just imagine all the phone calls to passive pickup makers that they find stock in their guitar, I thought my pickup was 16k why is it 14k, send me a new one or else.

Here's a video that will make you a pro on the subject, there is a few I'd recommend but this one was already in my book marks. Collin (CSguitars) and Dylan talks tone are channels I highly recommend to check out to learn everything about the electric guitar. There are a lot of others that do a fantastic job too but those are the first two I always recommend.
                Thank you! I was trying to figure out which of the three spots to plud in the test wires, them of course what wires to check.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I like this video and refer it from time to time.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                    Ive avoided asking this for many years due to pride. However, I figure I have the darn thing and its not getting used and also, I have pups to check.. So, i figure Im being more dumb by NOT asking.
                    Anyhow, I have a CEn Tech 7 function digital multimeter that I bought at harbor Freight. There are soo many different settings and options on it. Ive read the directions, but obviously, guitar pickups are not covered. haha What setting do you use to measure pups? and, where do you put the leads for the meter to the pickup? I think I can figure that out with trial and error, but I just have to know where to set the meter.. Thanks

ps, I can check: DCV/ACV/ DCA/ 1.5v-9v/10a/hfe and then I have 2000k,200k,20k,2000,200 in an area with horseshoe'

Inputs for my leads include 10ADC /VhorseshoemA /or one marked COM
                    there is also alittle blue wheel that is the transistor /HFE jack, but a little detent in that makes it look like it shouldnt be moved, ?

Since the unit is so old and never used, I put a new battery in.. haha
                    Why are people still enabling you?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      i usually just hold the wire against the lead with my fingers
                      That will affect your reading because the meter would also be measuring resistance through your body.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

the tiny difference between using clips and me holding the wires doesnt matter to me. if the pup reads 8.35k with fingers and 8.32k with clips, it still tells me everything i need to know

Comment

Working...
                        X