banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I switch my Fralins from HHx to HSS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I switch my Fralins from HHx to HSS?

I think I'm going to move my Fralin minis from bridge and middle to middle and neck then stick a vintage full sized Fralin hum in the bridge. Think it's a good idea? I think I probably should since the minis have such good single coily sound and I do like HSS. I would be deciding between the Fralin pure paf or modern paf. The pure paf is 8.4k of 42 and the mod paf is 10k of 42. It would be balancing with the 9 and 10k 43awg minis and I would be putting a double thick A6 in the bridge.
    Yas
    100.00%
    No
    0%
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Should I switch my Fralins from HHx to HSS?

Yes. Give your guitar a damned neck pickup you weirdo. :P

I don't think it would be HSS though . . . more like Hhh.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yas and yas. Think I should go vintage or vintage hot in the bridge?
      Last edited by Clint 55; 12-13-2019, 03:40 PM.
      I bought them for you

Comment

I think I'm gonna go with the 8.4k pure paf in the bridge with a double thick A6. I think it will balance. The vintage one has more character and isn't as dark. The vintage bridge is at 1:15 and the vintage hot bridge is at 4:30.

I bought them for you

Comment

I ordered the pup and pickguard! The pup comes with an A2. I'll install it then try the double thick A6 when that arrives later from the UK. The minis are also A6.
          I bought them for you

Comment

As long as you're comfy adjusting the tone knob, the vintage one is the way to go.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have a Pure PAF in the neck of my Strat I love it. I am sure it would make an awesome bridge PU.

Comment

Cool, I'm excited about it. I saw ur high output demo.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  Cool, I'm excited about it. I saw ur high output demo.
                  Yeah, the Pure PAF is in the neck of that guitar. Ask Lindey for the partial split mod. It really Strats up the Pure PAF when split.

Comment

I will probably run all the pups in series since they're all vintage output and the minis sound stratty.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Also gonna switch my HHx Phat Cat to HSH with a SSL6 in the middle. Gonna keep my 24 fret hum HHx cuz that one just has the mojo but try something different with the other 2. HHx is a pretty dope rawk setup, but I'm not exactly going on tour with my rawk band so I'm gonna try different stuff to fiddle.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

1 double thick A2 and 1 double thick A6 incoming for my vintage Fralin bridge!!!
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          1 double thick A2 and 1 double thick A6 incoming for my vintage Fralin bridge!!!
                          Interesting. Are these hums or single coils you are getting. My Fralin SHO has an A6 with the thick coils. I wonder how Lindey is going to wind yours. Are you going for a vintage or modern output?

Comment

I've had a Fralin mini hum set for a few months. They're vintage output at 9 and 10k with 43 and A6 and have nice single coiley bounce. So I decided to pair them with a full size vintage humbucker in the bridge. I'm getting the Fralin Pure PAF bridge wound to the hottest option at 8.4k. I have been liking double thick mags in the bridge for a couple years now because of the increased output and fullness. I've been wanting to try them in a vintage wind because you'd get the openness from the coil plus the extra punch and fullness from the double thick mag. I ordered the double thick mags from Cermag in England.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Friggin having sex with this ax. It came out flawlessly. The bridge Fralin and the double thick mags both arrived today. I spent about 3 1/2 hours assembling everything and am done at 2:45am. Fralin is a beast winder!! I'll post some clips tomorrow. I put a double thick A2 in the 8k/42 bridge and the 9 and 10k/43 neck and middle have A6s. They balance great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hhh Fralin.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	5817943
                              Last edited by Clint 55; 01-07-2020, 03:49 AM.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X