Tele or Les Paul? (No Rob Option)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele or Les Paul? (No Rob Option)

We have recently had a thread circulating about how a Tele is the only guitar you'll ever need, and a new one just got dug up about how Les Pauls are the best and most versatile guitars out there. This got me thinking, which of these bare bones, non-ergonomic, single cutaway, double pickup guitars would you chose if it were the only guitar you could ever play?

If you think about it, they're really opposite sides of the same coin.
    Telecaster
    29.41%
    Les Paul
    70.59%
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Tele or Les Paul? (No Rob Option)

id take a tele anyday. id mod it a little but ive done that to every guitar ive owned, i even swapped a pup on my first guitar a squier ii. i have a nice lp and i like it, but ill always be a fender guy at heart

Comment

Les Paul:
      - Looks beautiful, especially in flame top
      - Upper fret access is worse
      - PAF in the neck can sound great
      - Bridge does rock well
      - Flatter radius neck is better for playing lead and bending
      - Don't like the short scale
      - Frets are traditionally larger

Telecaster
      - Looks like a failed high school shop project
      - Slightly better upper fret access
      - Neck pickup is very me
      - Bridge does rock well
      - Neck traditionally has a small radius which is harder to bend with
      - Scale length is more comfortable for me
      - Frets are traditionally smaller

Eh . . . neither are my first choice. Or second choice. I'd give the edge to the Les Paul if forced to pick one.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Les Paul. It's not even close for me: I prefer humbuckers, flatter fretboard, mahogany and the shorter scale length. The controls are also better.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          id take a tele anyday. id mod it a little but ive done that to every guitar ive owned, i even swapped a pup on my first guitar a squier ii. i have a nice lp and i like it, but ill always be a fender guy at heart
          Come on man. No mods what would you take?

I will jump on the Les Paul team real quick.

Comment

A Tele if I could mod it. I'd pick an LP if I couldn't.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Today it would be a Paul

Next month I may move more Tele

Right now a chambered Paul with a JB/JAZZ set is my jam

But I could go Tele with JB/JAZZ just as well

I have an RG hardtail with a JB/JAZZ set

Several LP style
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

...as far as I'm concerned they both sound great & look pretty bad

I'd take a decent superstrat over either...or a pointy. But of the two the LP wins 'cause it's tone has the edge (looks a bit better too)
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

History suggests I'd mod either, but I'd prefer the Tele for two reasons. Weight is a big issue for me, and I'm a fanatic about my preference for a straight run of strings from the bridge to the tuning pegs. Obviously the angles have to break down over the nut, but I can't stand them angling off to the sides.
                  I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    Come on man. No mods what would you take?

I will jump on the Les Paul team real quick.
                    '52 tele or '52 lp? tele. '59 tele or '59 lp? lp. '66 tele or '66 lp? tele. '72 tele or '72 lp? tele. '79 tele or '79 lp? canoe oar. '86 tele or '86 lp? tele.

i own one real lp, one very lp influenced guitar, three other sorta gibsony guitars, and like twenty-something fender or fendery guitars. i could make a lp work but id be more comfortable on a tele

Comment

Between just those two, a Les Paul. They balance better for me. A Tele just doesn't balance right on the strap for my comfort.

Comment

Tele. Esquire, actually.

But Les Paul JUNIOR is right behind.

I love carved-top Pauls, but they don't even rate on my top ten list of favorite guitar models. They are behind (in no order) the Tele, Esquire, LP Special, LP Junior, SG, Strat, Jazzmaster, Jaguar, 335/345/355 styles, 330 styles, Guild thinline fully hollows, and any number of Gibson non-thinline hollow bodies.
                        Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-14-2019, 10:12 AM.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I would pick a Tele just off the middle position alone.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                          "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I like both. But will tell you, the day i got my first lp was the best day of my life. Was always my dream guitar. My brother and i woke up early and he drove me to 2 or 3 dif shops, all on the opposite ends of town to make sure i was getting the "best" one. Still gives me chills every time i see and play it.
                            Last edited by Open lane; 12-14-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Tele, all day, every day and twice on Sunday
                              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
                              X