Clear All

Re: Tele or Les Paul? (No Rob Option)

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    ...Tele vs. a Les Paul Jr. ...
    Tele

Originally posted by ehdwuld
    Strat vs Tele
    Strat
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      Tele

Strat
      Ha . . . yes on both counts.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

VERY tough call.

I’ve never owned an actual Fender Tele or a Gibson LP, but I have some damn nice “inspired by“ models of each. I honestly feel like if I had to I could pick either one and never look back… But at the same time, if I had to pick one and dump the other, I would always regret it.

I tend to prefer a 25.5” scale length, but barely notice when I switch to the 24.75”. I will say that I tend to be a bigger fan of humbuckers or P90s over standard single coils, so the LP would probably get a slight edge if I had to choose… But only a VERY slight edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by The Commodores?
        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I may have to join Mincer in his quest of learning cello. Sorry if it wasn't a cello. I'll take up xylophone then.

Comment

This pole is very flawed since it doesn't require a particular model choice.

Without reading all of the posts, it seems like everyone is assuming that the Tele is with "typical" singles (S-S) and the LP with "typical" PAF buckers (H-H).

But you can get Teles (without modding them) with SS, HS, SH, Sx, xS, SSS, HH, Hx, xH, HHH, P90P90, etc. And LPs also with just about any combination of pups.
            So changing the pup types or orientation (actually, I see that number of pups has been set at 2, so we can eliminate the SSS and HHH models) cannot be considered as "modding" them and would have to be allowed in this pole.

Unless this pole is asking..."which body shape do you prefer, Tele or LP".
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

IMO the LP is more beautiful, but the Tele is lighter, has a preferable scale length, straight strings due to inline tuners, better feeling neck with the "V" (of course there are many options available with either guitar), WAY less expensive, easier to mod, has more tonal options available, more color options available, etc.

So, my choice? I'll have 5 of each please.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

For my Hand, Les Pauls don't feel that great, I WAY prefer a flat wide 60s SG or LP Jr, Special guitar

And Tele's traditional 50s U neck isn't my fave either....

but if your asking to choose, I'd prefer a Tele Deluxe style -Thats Tele Spank and scale with 2 Humbuckers and flatter modern Strat neck profile.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Rob Option
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

If you forced me to pick, I 'd have to pick the telecaster since it's lighter and wouldn't kill my shoulder as much, but I'd still hate it.

Comment

I thought of this thread last night at practice. My lead singer was playing a Tele w/ Hotrails in the bridge. I was playing my Goldtop. Both guitars sounded great, both of us had a huge smile on our faces. I guess we should just be happy to have a guitar in our hands.

Comment

My answer is the same as last time: Snakeskin Baretta

Failing that, a Les Paul, even if I like the properties of a tele neck more.

Comment

Or would one of muttznmongrelz teles be acceptable?

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post

Comment

I could not, in good conscious, vote on this because the correct answer is "yes - you should get a les paul AND a tele". That is the only acceptable answer. I assume this was a trick question... what did I win for getting the answer right?

Comment

Man, I am so happy we are a group of very diverse tastes here.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I voted LP mainly because the longer 25.5" scale of a Tele is a strain/encumherment o me when needing to do quick-and-tight power chord position shifts in the lower fret, lower strings.

I also prefer the tone of an LP's mahogany body wood vs the Ash or Alder of a Tele.

I'd also rather have the possibility for more tonal options that an LP's two humbuckers provide for (since they can be split, paralleled, etc) vs the 1 or more singlecoils of a Tele.

I do NOT like the typical weight of an LP but i baked in an assumption that i could handpick an LP that weighed less than average.
                                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-17-2019, 05:52 PM.
                                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                                X