Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tele or Les Paul? (No Rob Option)

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    If you truly believe that, then I have to ask you...have you ever seen a Tele or a LP (let alone played them)?

How do you expect anyone to ever take you seriously (and I know that you have given some excellent advice/suggestions on this forum before) if you make such an inaccurate all inclusive or exclusive statement?
    Once you've played as many guitars as I have, you start to notice more than a few similarities.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      If you truly believe that, then I have to ask you...have you ever seen a Tele or a LP (let alone played them)?

How do you expect anyone to ever take you seriously (and I know that you have given some excellent advice/suggestions on this forum before) if you make such an inaccurate all inclusive or exclusive statement?
      People with little experience love to say dumb things thinking they have it all figured out.

I used to believe that Tele sounded the same as a Strat and that the 'twang' thing was only imagination, until I got myself a Schecter PT...and holy crap a revelation! Twang even when it's unplugged, and that's not even a real tele, just a copy with modern appointments.

Comment

Ummm...both.

Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 12-20-2019, 08:47 PM.
        MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
        1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
        1988 Kramer Nightswan
        1989 Charvel Sambora
        2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
        Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
        Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

This will do.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
            This will do.

I love it I could rock the poop out of that puppy

Comment

Les Paul. Not even close. Someone said earlier that the Tele shape looks like a failed high school shop project. Harsh ... but accurate. :P

Comment

This will do.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

My Number One choice for a guitar is a G&L Legacy. I bought my first Strat, a 1960, back in 1972. I love that third pickup, and I live in position 2 (bridge + middle). I also have the G&L Comanche, S-500, and Legacy Special models...same guitar, a variety of pickups. That said, I have owned a 1968 Thinline Tele, ash with Bigsby, and my first Les Paul was a 1975 '55 Special Reissue. The Tele was stolen; the Special sold during a personal financial crisis.

I currently have 11 Les Pauls, all 2HB models, and my Tele is an ASAT Deluxe. Maple over mahogany, '59/JB pickup set with coil splitter, maple/rosewood neck and G&L's DF Vibrato. It is a very rare bird. Not really a Tele sound, yet not Les Paul tone either. It is heavy for a "Tele" at 9.6 lbs.

The Pauls include chambered models: two Supremes, two GOTW Classic Antiques and an Elegant. The four Historics are solid, and I have two weight-relieved 1960 Classic Premium Plus models. I prefer vintage pickup tones so there are Burstbucker 1 & 2 sets, Classic '57s, Ants, Seths, etc. There are some similarities, but there are some significant differences, too.

I miss that Tele, though the Bigsby was a PITA at times. Ditto the Special. Those P-90s had a lot of bite and growl...probably one of the best tones I've ever gotten was that Special through a wide-open JCM800 4010 combo I used to have.

So there's quite a range of tones in this discussion, from Tele pickups to P-90s to Gibson 'buckers and split Duncans.

So, which Les Paul? Which Tele? There are just so many variations of both models. Of the guitars I currently have, the 1960 Historic models are not only my favorite Les Pauls, but they come closest to producing fat Tele twang. (See posts above.) My G&L Legacy Specials are terrific for me because I can use one on a gig to back up both my Les Paul and my G&L Legacy. It is a very versatile guitar.

So...me being a Legacy/Strat guy, in the end I'm picking a Les Paul. A Tele at this point in my life just wouldn't get a lot of play time. I love the thick tones of the Les Pauls.

Both are versatile, wonderful instruments.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post
                    Ummm...both.

As always, you've got it figured out, Sir.

Comment

This will do.

That thing is amazing and I want it. Reminds me of Devin Townsend's Framus Plank a bit.

Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                        That thing is amazing and I want it. Reminds me of Devin Townsend's Framus Plank a bit.

That Framus is sweet...

Comment

Les Paul for me . They are my mains and always will be ..

Comment

Chambered les paul with a contoured heel.

A tele is a good guitar in it's own right. Just can't gel with a 25.50" scale.

Comment

Give me some time and I'll get back to you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	35033495933_f3995259c4_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	5817887

Click image for larger version

Name:	35671484692_2d026a77ff_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	5817888

Comment

when i am playing a les paul, i think "i like this more than my telecaster" but i was just playing my telecaster and felt like "i like this more than my les paul"

So, yeah, i am greedy. Give me both!!

Comment

Working...
                                X