banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Koa vs maple top Les Paul type guitar: tonal differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koa vs maple top Les Paul type guitar: tonal differences?

There is this recent Epiphone Les Paul model that featured a koa top. Link to Epiphone's product page for this guitar: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les...m-PRO-KOA.aspx

I've been reading through the multitude of User reviews posted on various dealer/retailer websites to try and determine if the koa top is going to yield a tonal difference vs a maple top. Very few of the reviews speak to that point, and those that do are vague about what the tonal differences are.

I am familiar with the online descriptions of koa as a tone wood, but those don't seem very applicable to this particular application because those mostly approach it as a side or top wood on an acoustic guitar.

So, whether it is this particular koa Epiphone vs a similar maple top Epiphone, or some other make of Les Paul type that was available in both koa- and maple-tops, does anyone here have experience with this to comment on what, if any, are the tonal differences, and how subtle or not those tonal differences are?

My gut suspicion is that the koa top will be warmer but only very subtley so.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Koa vs maple top Les Paul type guitar: tonal differences?

I'd think the slice of either koa or maple that they would use would be so thin that it wouldn't impact the tone significantly. Koa looks great though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's veneer - no difference.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I'd think the slice of either koa or maple that they would use would be so thin that it wouldn't impact the tone significantly. Koa looks great though.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        It's veneer - no difference.

No, not with this particular Epi Koa guitar. Purchasers report the koa top being about 3/8" thick...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191217_221129.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	5817844

... whereas a veneer is much much thinner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191217_221144.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	5817845
        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-17-2019, 09:20 PM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Well then, I stand corrected on dimensions. As for maple vs koa? Who knows?
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Here's the one thing you know for sure​ about "tone wood": If a guitar sounds good to you, then it sounds good to you – regardless of what the specs are.

Good luck predicting what an electric guitar will sound like based on a generalization of the tonal quality of wood. It's hard enough generalizing with acoustics!
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Know KOA well as have owned several KOA guitars. Will be warmer than maple close to Mahogany in tone with a little more in the high mids. Had a Carvin AE 185 at one time that had a Mahogany neck and body with a sick flamed KOA top great sounding guitar!
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Koa will be a bit warmer than maple. I've got a few koa topped les pauls and they're for sure a bit warmer tonally than with a maple cap. All other variants remaining the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                  Know KOA well as have owned several KOA guitars. Will be warmer than maple close to Mahogany in tone with a little more in the high mids. Had a Carvin AE 185 at one time that had a Mahogany neck and body with a sick flamed KOA top great sounding guitar!
                  Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                  Koa will be a bit warmer than maple. I've got a few koa topped les pauls and they're for sure a bit warmer tonally than with a maple cap. All other variants remaining the same.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Yes, generally speaking, koa is a bit warmer than maple. BUT...

You will probably hear just as much tonal difference between two different guitars with the SAME woods as you will with this guitar compared to a maple topped version.

There are WAY too many factors involved in the tone of a guitar to narrow down the result due to just one factor. Even two different slices of koa in the same guitar.
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 12-18-2019, 12:51 PM.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Les Paul tops are not veneer. It’s about 3/4” thick.

They do alter the tone. Listen to an old all mahogany LP Custom. It’s a much warmer sounding guitar.

Les wanted a solid maple body, but figured it would be too heavy. So he said that top is thick enough to make it sound like a maple guitar.

I haven’t built anything with koa, but I think it would be a bit warmer sounding.

Here’s an example of how the top wood, which the bridge is sitting on, can change the tone.

Here’s two identical basses I built. Both have cherry bodies from the same board. Both have seven piece maple/purpleheart necks with dual truss rods, carbon fiber reinforcement, and phenolic fretboards.

The only difference is one has a 1/2” maple top and the other is 1/2” zebrawood. Between the tops and backs is a 1/4” layer of purpleheart.

The maple top bass is noticeably brighter, while the zebrawood top bass has a mellower tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Koa looks better, which will convince your ears that it sounds better.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          Koa looks better, which will convince your ears that it sounds better.

Comment

You might find a less harsh top-end.....you might not.

I've made guitars out of a lot of different woods, and with all the variations I've used its hard to pinpoint just how 1 slab might be influencing the whole, especially with a Les Paul construction where there are 9 different (and unique in themselves) bits of wood - even with a 1 piece back.

Comment

Working...
                            X