DOD Vintage Reissues - Pedal Order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOD Vintage Reissues - Pedal Order?

So I now have all 5 of the classic DOD reissues: Compressor 280, Overdrive Preamp 250, BiFET Boost 410, Envelope Filter 440, and Phasor 201. I'm remaking my Pedaltrain Mini using just these 5 DOD pedals to see how they do. I need suggestions for preferred pedal order, particularly the last two I mentioned.

Re: DOD Vintage Reissues - Pedal Order?

Try the last two in your effects loop.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shupe13 View Post
      Try the last two in your effects loop.
      Yeah that's what I was thinking for my amp that has the effects loop. My other amp does not so I'm doing a straight signal path into the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Mavronis View Post
        Yeah that's what I was thinking for my amp that has the effects loop. My other amp does not so I'm doing a straight signal path into the amp.
        Just leave them in the same order. Experiment with the two modular effects order and where you run the comp (first or last) in your chain.

Comment

I've always liked those stomp boxes. I'd like to have all the BBE reissues too.

Comment

DOD were my first pedals from the 90s. Had the American Distortion and a few others. Was in a guitar shop and they had a 90s era DOD of some flavorml.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Compressor, Filter, Phaser, 250, boost.

I always prefer filter and phaser in front of dirt. Compressor could be before or after the filter/phase depending on which you prefer. Dirt into boost or boost into dirt is completely subjective and up to you.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Trying this configuration at the moment but going to experiment with some of the order.

Comment

That should work. It is all about personal preference, there is no right or wrong way to set up your signal chain. I typically put my boost pedals before my dirt pedals to push them a bit and stack overdrives.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    That should work. It is all about personal preference, there is no right or wrong way to set up your signal chain. I typically put my boost pedals before my dirt pedals to push them a bit and stack overdrives.
                    I'm kind of using the Compressor as a boost into the Overdrive (way more tube like feel), then the real clean BiFET Boost at the end can be used for solo volume boost and/or tone sculpting.
                    Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 12-18-2019, 06:35 AM.

Comment

DOD Vintage Reissues - Pedal Order?

I run my phase shifter (Phase 90) in front of my over drive into the front of the amp. Unless you want cartoony sci-fi swooshing you want that before the amp or distortion. That’s what you hear on classic recordings.

FX loops are really intended for line level rack mount stuff like reverb or delay, etc.

For the other pedals just experiment. A lot of it depends on if you’re going to be using more than one at a time.

I’d say put the compressor first unless you are also going to use the envelope filter at the same time. Then that goes first or you’ll lose your envelope with compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm trying to warm up to the envelope filter effect. I'd probably rather have a mini cry baby wah or my tuner back on and put my MXR carbon copy back on I dunno.
                        Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 12-21-2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I moved the Envelope Filter to the beginning of the signal chain. I think it sounds better there and a more convincing auto-wah effect.

Comment

How do you like the 250? I can not find my original I was thinking of buying a reissue.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                              How do you like the 250? I can not find my original I was thinking of buying a reissue.
                              So I started out wanting a gray 250 because "my then" guitar hero Yngwie Malmsteen used one as the basis for his overdriven tone along with his Strat and Marshalls. But $400 for one off of eBay was out of the question. So I studied the circuit diagrams and built a couple from scratch experimenting with NOS 741 op amps, etc. They didn't sound quite like the DOD YJM308 which has more treble. I prefer the gray 250's midrange tone better. Then I modded my YJM308 to be gray spec and it then sounded great and the same as my DIY clones. That was my basis to verify I duplicated the gray 250 sound. When I got the 2013 gold 250 and compared them head to head they sounded identical, with the new 250 perhaps having some added gain and volume. You should get the DOD gold 250 while they are still on sale and available.

I have a page that I need to redo on Google with a research table comparing the versions:
                              Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 12-26-2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X