DOD Vintage Reissues - Pedal Order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DOD Vintage Reissues - Pedal Order?

I was a little maybe a lot supprised when the 250 showed up last night. Firstly the case is plastic not metal, not a huge deal in my opinion. Secondly, it is a different slightly greener yellow with sparkles, once again not a big deal. I kinda like the sparkle finish better. I went to play it this morning and of course, the only battery in the house was dead. I am going to liberate a 9-volt from work and give the pedal a workout this afternoon.

Comment

I dig the look and proven effectiveness of the old Carling switch style of these original DODs and these reissues... 80s and 90s DOD pedals have the horrible plastic stomp system and unnecessarily bulky industrial design -I guess they felt a modernization was needed to keep up with the success of the BOSS system, which still to this day is ingenious for function, effectiveness and convenience.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Are the cases for all of the reissues made of plastic?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Are the cases for all of the reissues made of plastic?
          I'll have to check mine. I thought at least the top half of the case was aluminum or zinc alloy metal and maybe the bottom lid was plastic. The descriptions I see online at store sites say "Lighter aluminum chassis." I think the originals were steel enclosures. My YJM308 for example is heavy. On the Harman site for the Compressor 280 that I just purchased it says the chassis is all metal:

Last edited by Steve Mavronis; 12-31-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Mavronis View Post
            I'll have to check mine. I thought at least the top half of the case was aluminum or zinc alloy metal and maybe the bottom lid was plastic.
            Yep, you are right. It is so light I thought the whole thing was plastic. I forgot how transparent this pedal is, it is bringing back memories. I originally used one in the '80's when I was broke as heck and someone gave me a 250 after my MXR D+ bit the dust. The LEVEL really allows you to dial in your mids and get a really focused overdrive. I am playing around with it on my Excelsior which is a very loose sounding amp. The 250 really tightens up the tone and focuses it nicely.

Comment

Man, my 250, 201 and 440 got a major workout back in the '90's when I was doing a retro '60's/'70's band thing, those pedals worked a charm! Sorely tempted to pick up these reissues and give them a try for the hell of it. Glad to hear it's not actually all plastic though. I can deal with the lighter aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Mavronis View Post
                Trying this configuration at the moment but going to experiment with some of the order.

Personally, I'd be inclined to try it this way:

envelope filter -> phaser -> Compressor -> Boost -> OD -> clean amp

It's nice to have to have an envelope filter first in pedal order. That way it picks up all the nuances of your touch through the guitar and you have a lot more control over the pedal through your fingers and volume knob.

Envelope filters and phaser both sound great with a touch of compression after them to even out peakiness. Phaser into into OD is a much nicer / more natural phaser sound than OD -> Phaser to me.

With the gain stuff, compressor -> OD gives you a nice smooth sound, OD -> boost or comp -> OD -> boost can usually be coaxed to get heavier sounds and more singing lead type stuff. But you lose the ability to use the boost as a volume increase.

Just my 2 cents.

:P
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Of course a couple of weeks past the warranty the pedal starts to make some weird noises. I thought it was the battery dying but no it is the pedal. It is making some kind of chirp/clicking sound.

Comment

I would go;
                    filter
                    phaser
                    comp
                    boost
                    od

edit; moved filter to 1st, but does a filter sound good before phasing? ,,,,or would you ever run them both on at the same time?
                    Ok I now see it's an old thread. Nice to get a quality-status update though.
                    Last edited by dave74; 01-31-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                      I would go;
                      filter
                      phaser
                      comp
                      boost
                      od

edit; moved filter to 1st, but does a filter sound good before phasing? ,,,,or would you ever run them both on at the same time?
                      Ok I now see it's an old thread. Nice to get a quality-status update though.
                      I've never run an envelop filter with a phaser at the same time so it's kinda moot. They both do similar things, and sound weird together.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I've never run an envelop filter with a phaser at the same time so it's kinda moot. They both do similar things, and sound weird together.
                        Thanks. Yeah that's what I was thinking might be the case. I've never had a filter or even a basic wah pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

If you're good with pinch harmonics, you can almost make that setup sound like a Theremin.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I get the art-historic factor of the 5 pedals in that version, and appreciate the academic question of order.

Besides that, why would anyone actually run these 5 pedals? I can't imagine a board where I'd do that, let alone a song...or is this really just for experimental a / artistic purposes - which is fine...
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              I get the art-historic factor of the 5 pedals in that version, and appreciate the academic question of order.

Besides that, why would anyone actually run these 5 pedals? I can't imagine a board where I'd do that, let alone a song...or is this really just for experimental a / artistic purposes - which is fine...
                              I use all those sounds. :P

Probably add a delay and a tremolo, but it would work for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X