Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vibrato tips

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

Default Re: Vibrato tips

Listen to a ton of opera until you subconsciously apply your vibrato the same way the singers do

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

With both singing & guitar playing, I've recently been fixating on this idea that playing without vibrato takes a lot more precision and skill (and great intonation of strings). But it sounds like you're approaching it the right way.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Tone Member

Sounds like people here are giving you opinions on where to do it and not how to do it. When to use it and how to use it are up to you, nobody else. I have a dvd player that can loop. I will take sections of songs and loop them over and over, especially the vibrato on bends. People want speed, and thats cool, but I wonder how many here can bend a half step and wiggle it in pitch. Work on it

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Zack seems to get a lot of crap online. But I like his sound, he's got good stage presence and he knows how to poke fun at himself.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    I saw him a couple of years ago on the Generation Axe tour. Iíve never before or since heard such a HUGE live guitar tone.
    A close second was Slash. Massive massive live tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    First thing about vibrato is there are no rules. Different players do it different ways & the players who are known for having great vibrato (Yngwie, Blackmore, Marty Friedman, Angus Young, BB King etc..) always have a distinctive vibrato of their own (different from each other's) that's often a big part of what makes them sound like they do. It's there to accentuate what your'e playing...ie make it more musical & expressive and to hopefully give it a more personal stamp.

I kinda find it hilarious when I hear of people trying to mentally count/time their vibrato like tap tempo of something. There's no better way to instantly sound wooden/clinical imo..but eh, to each their own. Unfortunately that's the sad state guitar playing has got to these days..you get everything else out a book..so why not vibrato? Well too bad, but it doesn't really work that way.

The best thing to do is to genuinely feel what your'e playing. Develop one's ear so it's sensitive to pitch & the notes being played 'cause good players aren't thinking about their vibrato (as they play) at all..it just happens naturally...

Don't know what styles you're into but jamming the blues is a great way to get your'e feel quotient up...vibrato, bends and all.
    I couldn't agree more!

I learned vibrato watching how SRV does it in live. Which is good way to go for technique point of view. But you really just have to listen yourself to get it. Blues is brilliant practice for that!
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

I like Zakk’s wide vibrato, it’s his thing and you can identify him by that. But if there’s no rules, why does every guitarist hate Kirk Hammett’s vibrato so much? Occasionally (usually on whole step bends) after letting it ring a second I’ll shake the guitar neck back and forth. Not hard enough to damage anything and it’s more subtle than the traditional way, but it sounds really nice and I can keep the string right where it is when it’s bent perfectly in tune..
    Last edited by Beer$; 01-02-2020 at 01:17 AM.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

Quote Originally Posted by Beer$ View Post
    I like Zakkís wide vibrato, itís his thing and you can identify him by that. But if thereís no rules, why does every guitarist hate Kirk Hammettís vibrato so much? Occasionally (usually on whole step bends) after letting it ring a second Iíll shake the guitar neck back and forth. Not hard enough to damage anything and itís more subtle than the traditional way, but it sounds really nice and I can keep the string right where it is when itís bent perfectly in tune..
    I had never heard that about Kirkís vibrato....I have heard many comments on his over bending notes.

Mojo's Minions

I'd say start by listening to Mike Campell, Gary Moore, and other guys with their own distinct vibrato style to understand the landscape of possibilities first,..

Then start trying them and see what movements come natural to your physicality and develop the natural feeling one you like best first, then get wild...
    ďFor me, when everything goes wrong Ė thatís when adventure starts.Ē Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I had never heard that about Kirk’s vibrato....I have heard many comments on his over bending notes.
    Every guitar forum has at least a few threads about his “shrill, weak vibrato.”
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

Because no one in their right mind would like his vibrato

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Study classical guitar if you want to develop killer left hand vibrato skills.

Long story short, you basically rock your fretting finger back and forth along the length of the string, as needed to achieve the desired effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

I'd almost stay away from guitar entirely. Listen to Miles Davis, or a some great oboe and french horn. They have the vibrato thing down.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.