No announcement yet.

ATTENUATER OR DEVICE W/VOL. IN FX LOOP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTENUATER OR DEVICE W/VOL. IN FX LOOP?

Hi again~~ In trying to get a usable volume out of my 20 watt non-master beast of an amp, & being disappointed with power soaks in the past (see previous post), I tried inserting a device w/ volume control into my FX loop, & voila!!,,,, The question is, what is the better option if trying to retain the signal integrity, a soak or gain pedal in the loop? This FX loop fix seemed to be okay, but what's the better sonic solution to my goal? Thanks!!

ATTENUATER OR DEVICE W/VOL. IN FX LOOP?

Hi again~~ In trying to get a usable volume out of my 20 watt non-master beast of an amp, & being disappointed with power soaks in the past (see previous post), I tried inserting a device w/ volume control into my FX loop, & voila!!,,,, The question is, what is the better option if trying to retain the signal integrity, a soak or gain pedal in the loop? This FX loop fix seemed to be okay, but what's the better sonic solution to my goal? Thanks!!

Comment

Re: ATTENUATER OR DEVICE W/VOL. IN FX LOOP?

The later in the chain, the better IMHO. If you lower volume before amp you don’t get the preamp working, if you put it in the loop you get the preamp but don’t get the power amp. So an attenuator between power amp and speaker would be better assuming you care about the power amp being pushed. Finally, there’s how the speaker reacts. You miss that in any case unless you rely on something like a maverick to attenuate the volume.

Comment

If your 20w amp is too loud you should try a 5w or an acoustic.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          If your 20w amp is too loud you should try a 5w or an acoustic.
          If a 20w is too loud, a 5w is likely too loud as well. The difference in loudness is not that big.

Comment

Better solution is really subjective.

The volume in loop is practically just master volume. You could use EQ or other stuff in loop to improve the quality, but that's just about it. To get less power amp headroom you need power soak. Reactive loads should be better for tonal perspective, and options are plenty.

Or you can get new smaller amp. I don't think 5W is necessarily too much, I've played with my friends Blackstar HT-5 loud (Not fully dimed, but pushed plenty enough) and it's fine without ear protection, unlike with 15-20 W amps.

Or get amp with good master volume. Perhaps the best solution along with reactive load options, unless you want to go with multiple amps for different situation.

EDIT: Thread name made me wonder, how about to use master volume to reduce volume slightly before power amp, so soak doesn't need to push it down too hard. Has anyone experience how that works?
            Last edited by Jacew; 12-19-2019, 04:49 AM.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

My Bugera G5 is a 5 watt with an attenuation switch that switches between 5 , 1, and .01 watt

At the lowest setting you can have a loud speaking conversation without yelling

But it sounds much better at 5 watt

I have looked at the Bugera PS1. For use with my Carvin Belair, I love how it sounds but at 50 watts its ear splitting in a bedroom
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                My Bugera G5 is a 5 watt with an attenuation switch that switches between 5 , 1, and .01 watt

I have looked at the Bugera PS1. For use with my Carvin Belair, I love how it sounds but at 50 watts its ear splitting in a bedroom
                That's really the problem. Really difficult, if not impossible, to get the goods of higher wattage tubes (and decibels working the cab) without real power.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

I'd stay away from that one. That's the same model as the Harley Benton Power Soak (the old version, prior to the facelift, at least, as well as the current Jet City Jettenuator) and IMHO that attenuator really sucks. I owned one for about three weeks and then sent it back. Like placing a wet blanket over your speaker. I tried it with two amps so it wasn't just the combo of that model and one particular amp.

Save a bit more money and go for something else instead.
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  1973 Aria 551
                  1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                  1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                  1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                  1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                  1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                  2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Another option that is similar to what you tried is the JHS Little Black Amp Box. It works in your effects loop like a master volume. I use it on a 40 watt blackstar and it has been good for bedroom playing. You likely will have to adjust your EQ but I have been able to get the sound I want out of my amp with it at a comfortable volume. However, I have gotten myself an Eminence Maverick speaker as an early Christmas present and look forward to installing it in the next week or so just to see if I like it better.

Comment

i like the maverick, not my favorite sounding speaker but its a very good sounding speaker that you can use to knock a fair amount of volume off an amp. it wont get a 50w amp on 10 down to bedroom levels but it significantly reduces the volume. as part of a volume reduction plan, its very good

Comment

Comment

I have struggled with this as well. I tried the little black box in the effects loop. TBH, it sounded no different using that and having my volume on 5 as opposed to no attenuator and my volume on .5-1. All the fx loop attenuator is doing is pushing the pre-gain tubes, not the power. From what I've been reading, most current-day amps are sounding better and better at lower volumes. If you really need an attenuator, maybe look for a decent one that goes between the speaker and amp. You can get a used badcat unleashed v2 for around 300 which seems pretty reasonable when most high-end ones are going for like 1000.

I was actually going to purchased a mesa cabclone this week but quickly cancelled my order because the reviews were just horrible on it. Good quality attenuators/cab clones just aren't cheap.

On another forum someone also mentioned a specific speaker brand "Fluxtone" which is also an option. Basically has the same result as an attenuator.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                            Really difficult, if not impossible, to get the goods of higher wattage tubes (and decibels working the cab) without real power.
                            Slaving is the solution here.

Comment

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post
                              I have struggled with this as well. I tried the little black box in the effects loop. TBH, it sounded no different using that and having my volume on 5 as opposed to no attenuator and my volume on .5-1. All the fx loop attenuator is doing is pushing the pre-gain tubes, not the power.
                              That's because it isn't an attenuator, it's just an extra volume knob. A real attenuator would be hooked up after the power stage of your amp, thus letting you work both preamp and power amp tubes as you please.
                              Last edited by Coma; 01-16-2020, 02:35 PM.
                              --------------------------------------------------------
                              1973 Aria 551
                              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                              X