Bass preamp in front of guitar amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass preamp in front of guitar amp?

I'd like to try a orange micro terror 20w hybrid guitar amp on base to get gritty tones at bedroom levels. I got a tc spark to boost it and for some additional eq-ing. It has a bass boost too. It will still not be perfect as the amp's eq is set up for guitar. I got an ampeg classic analog bass preamp lying around and am wondering if that'll help or no because it's also before the amp's eq...

Re: Bass preamp in front of guitar amp?

I think if you have the gear, go ahead and try! Great tones have happened because people broke rules, or just used what they had available. Let us know how it turns out.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The alternative would be to use the preamp with a pedal sized Poweramp. The micro terror plus boost costs the same as the ampeg preamp plus a mooer baby bomb 30w poweramp pedal.

The micro terror has a better heavy tone out of the box but the preamp/poweramp combo has a better bass response and is more flexible as the preamp can be swapped out for something nicer that also offers grit down the road.

Comment

I plugged my P bass into my Micro Dark the other night. It’s going into a 1x12 I built with an Eminence Legend. Wanted to see if I could get the Sabbath N.I.B. sound, and it’s very much in that ballpark.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

RIght now I'm inclined to go with the Ampeg preamp plus the Mooer poweramp. I't modular and the preamp can be switched out any time while the Micro Terror offers exactly one tone.

Comment

the ampeg preamp into a power amp sounds like a better all around bass rig for sure but using the orange wont hurt anything as long as the speaker can handle what youre putting through it

Comment

I would suggest the Ampeg SCR-DI instead of the Ampeg Classic if you want overdrive. The Scramble is a really nice bass overdrive IMO.

Comment

he said he has the ampeg layin around so i dont think hes lookin to purchase anything

Comment

Yes and I'm modding a Boss SD-1 for bass as an always-on mild drive.

Comment

Twilight Odyssey does that all the time with a Sansamp for bass into the return of a dual rec. Paging TO!
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Isn't a dual rec a bit expensive to be used just as a power amp?

Comment

Originally posted by h3r3t1k View Post
                        Isn't a dual rec a bit expensive to be used just as a power amp?
                        Any clean amp with an fix/ preamp in with good speakers will do the trick. If it’s got a tube power section, even better. Bass directly into the board never quite does it for me, even a very nice one. When I want to get nuts I’ll split between a Hartkey transient attack into a 4x10 and a 1x15, a guitar amp for distortion and blend it with the DI.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                        X