"Recessed" Floyd Rose Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Recessed" Floyd Rose Question

Alright so I've been wondering this for a little while, and I'm wondering if any experienced builders can chime in on this.
    So I hate floating Floyd Rose bridges, and I love the surface mount style. However, due to the height of the Floyd rose, the neck needs to be angled in order to compensate. So my question is, is it possible to route our a cavity for the Floyd Rose to sit flush inside? ie: It is not recessed to have space between the bridge and the body, but rather recessed to eliminate the excess height of the bridge, and sit against the wood within the cavity.

Re: "Recessed" Floyd Rose Question

sure, there is no reason that you couldnt do that

Comment

Without actual building experience I'd say that its definitely a yes.I imagine it kinda works like flush mounting strap buttons.

Check out this one:

Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

It's actually a two-point hardtail kinda stuff, but I guess that is the sort ouf routing you need for your idea, which I actually like a lot. I never owned a guitar with a fixed bridge and only one with non-Floyd style bridge. I couldn't play a TOM style bridge guitar for the life of me, but I'd love to try a fixed bridge guitar. Curious how your idea turns out!
      Last edited by nexion218; 12-19-2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

"Recessed" Floyd Rose Question

It’s a common thing to do to get the neck angle lower.

As a person who uses a floating trem quite a lot, I think you’re missing out on the subtle cool things you can do with trem. If it’s set to only press down than all you can do it dive bombs. That’s a effect more than something musical.

I use my trem to adding vibrato to chords and even the ends of wide bends where I can’t really muster any extra wiggle from the strings (like Blackmore does). If your trem doesn’t float you get that clacking when it hits the body.

Also some Floyds aren’t really flat on the bottom.

But this is how it’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just block it. Put a bit of wood in the trem cavity to prevent from pulling up.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Just block it. Put a bit of wood in the trem cavity to prevent from pulling up.
            He wants to get the neck angle lower. It’s not about pulling up.

But honestly that cripples a tremolo.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              He wants to get the neck angle lower. It’s not about pulling up.

But honestly that cripples a tremolo.

If he takes a regular routed floyd cavity he can just block the trem so it's dive only and no need to worry about neck angle, right? I thought the worry came from him trying to do a top mounted thing.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Sure, that is why people started recessing them in the first place (unless you block them with something you can pull up a non-recessed Floyd almost as much as a recessed one.)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  If he takes a regular routed floyd cavity he can just block the trem so it's dive only and no need to worry about neck angle, right? I thought the worry came from him trying to do a top mounted thing.
                  You are correct. I don't want to worry about making neck angles or shimming or anything like that. And while yes I get that the point of a tremolo is to have that floating aspect, I'm just simply more of a fan of the dive-only style.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                    Without actual building experience I'd say that its definitely a yes.I imagine it kinda works like flush mounting strap buttons.

Check out this one:

Crafted with the demands of the discernible player in mind, Jackson guitars give you the shapes, finishes and tones you love. From the venerable Rhoads, Soloist, Warrior and more, shop Jackson for the highest performance.

It's actually a two-point hardtail kinda stuff, but I guess that is the sort ouf routing you need for your idea, which I actually like a lot. I never owned a guitar with a fixed bridge and only one with non-Floyd style bridge. I couldn't play a TOM style bridge guitar for the life of me, but I'd love to try a fixed bridge guitar. Curious how your idea turns out!
                    Very interesting! I always wondered if something like this exists. Although it does seem very unnecessary, still very interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by A_Cold_1 View Post
                      Very interesting! I always wondered if something like this exists. Although it does seem very unnecessary, still very interesting!
                      Well, it's a best-of-both-worlds sorta thing, just like what you're looking for. You get the tuning stability of a Floyd together with the no fuss operation of a hardtail, you can even switch tunings on the fly. The elders/pros on here might have seen or done something similar, but for me it was a breath of innovation's fresh air. Too bad it's only available on that signature model. But if its really only the floating aspect that bothers you, then simply blocking the Floyd might solve your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                        It’s a common thing to do to get the neck angle lower.

As a person who uses a floating trem quite a lot, I think you’re missing out on the subtle cool things you can do with trem. If it’s set to only press down than all you can do it dive bombs. That’s a effect more than something musical.

I use my trem to adding vibrato to chords and even the ends of wide bends where I can’t really muster any extra wiggle from the strings (like Blackmore does). If your trem doesn’t float you get that clacking when it hits the body.

Also some Floyds aren’t really flat on the bottom.

But this is how it’s done.

even with a non-recessed trem you can still set it to pull up though, you just loosen the springs so it's floating a bit off the body. That's how i have my strats set up and it works great for vibrato

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                          even with a non-recessed trem you can still set it to pull up though, you just loosen the springs so it's floating a bit off the body. That's how i have my strats set up and it works great for vibrato
                          Absolutely. I don’t even pull up. I never do. But if I use the bar for vibrato I want it to waver up and down.

My main guitar is a Parker P-38 with a Wilkinson trem. So I don’t do crazy dive bombs live, unless I want the rest of the song to be out of tune. lol. It’s actually a very stable tremolo. I’m usually using it a bit in every song, and often in parts of solos when I want some crazy vibrato at the end of a note. But I like to add shimmer to chords and stuff.

When I play one of my hard tail
                          guitars I feel like I’m missing a finger or something.

Comment

Working...
                          X