banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off to trade for some P bass upgrades...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to trade for some P bass upgrades...

Namely, a NOS All Parts neck and an Antiquity II P pickup. Gonna toss the Sperzel tuners on the P with the new neck, and just need a nut and bridge for it after that.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Off to trade for some P bass upgrades...

i love that ant2 p pup! sounds like george porter jr

Comment

Music Go Round moved locations a few months ago and unearthed some things. I wound up with the Ant 1 and II p bass pickups, plus a Tusq but for $120.

They still have an Ant Jazz neck for $69 if anyone’s interested.

Next stop was the guy with the All Parts neck. Again, NOS, it’s from a show he owned a few years ago. It’s brand new with the tag, rosewood board, weighs nothing, abalone dots, gloss finish, $75.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Got the new neck installed with the Tusq XL nut, and put in the Ant 2. Man... even through the Rumble 15, this thing is dripping with tone. The new neck is a little beefier than the Squier, but the carve is super comfortable. It’s gloss finished, which I usually hate, but this one isn’t sticky. With a total of less than $300 invested in this instrument, I’m extremely happy with it.

Ordered a set of SIT Power Wound 45-105 to install Monday. I’m gonna give it a few weeks, then swap in the Ant 1 pickup to see A5 vs A2. Kicking around installing the Ant 1 in the bridge position for a dual P setup, but I really love the simplicity of it now.

Comment

Leo Quan Baddass II bridge.
          Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Leo Quan Baddass II bridge.
            Just saying.
            I'd also consider a Gotoh 201.
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1
            '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
            '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
            '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
            '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
            '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
            '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Funny you guys should mention those. The Squier bridge is indeed junk. Saddles move side to side, and seem to lower themselves. At 1/3 of the price of the Badass, I’ve got a Gotoh on order at a local shop.

Comment

I have Gotohs on 3 of my basses--love it.

I doubt you will be disappointed.

Good luck with this.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1
                '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

I have a badass in one and a gotoh on one. They are both Fantastic sounding bridges. I haven’t used a badass II yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Local place can get the Gotoh for $35, and no one has anything bad to say about it. Looking forward to getting it, as the stock bridge SUCKS.

Comment

Put the Ant I in my Yamaha P/J. Sounds just as massive as the Ant 2. Have a line on a QP Jazz bridge for a song. Gonna try it out.

Comment

I have a Mexican Player Series bridge that I just pulled off of a Jaguar Bass body that I bought for a build. It's yours if you want it; just PM me. Perfectly fine piece of hardware IMO, and a definite upgrade from Squier hardware IME. I only pulled it because I usually use a Hipshot A Style on my non-vintage-accurate builds.

It's one of these guys that they are using now. Slotted saddles with black screws and springs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0149802534_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	5817867
                        Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-22-2019, 07:45 PM.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X