New Cab Day: PRS Tremonti 1x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cab Day: PRS Tremonti 1x12

So, with holiday travel coming up, I really wanted a better "reasonably portable" rig than my old Line 6 Spider. I already had a good low-wattage head (my Studio Classic 20), but was lacking a cab smaller than a 4x12. After going to Guitar Center and trying several 1x12s, I walked out with a PRS Tremonti 1x12.

I'm really impressed with the thump this little guy has! It's a bit more middy than my Bogner Uberkab (not that that's a fair comparison in any way...), but not terribly boxy; it's more "good mids" than "cardboard box" mids. Really nice clarity, too.

Brief thoughts on the others I tried:
    Marshall Studio Classic 1x12 -- The most expensive cab I tried, and also utter crap. The midrange was really "ratty" sounding, the bottom was both weak and flubby at the same time, and the top was ugly and papery. Who the hell is paying over $600 for these?!?!

Orange 1x12 -- Similar to the PRS I ultimately went with, less bottom-end punch, and a bit less "together" (for lack of a better term) on the top.

Re: New Cab Day: PRS Tremonti 1x12

What speaker does it use?

Comment

V30.

Comment

Those are very solid cabs. I have a MT 15 head and looked hard at the matching cab but have a Blackstar with a WGS retro that I like a little better. That said I absolutely agree that the MT PRS 1/12 is one of the best of the small 1/12's I have heard and that V 30 will warm up nicely once it breaks in and pick up some bottom and get less harsh in the mids. Congrats those are nice!!
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
          [...] that V 30 will warm up nicely once it breaks in and pick up some bottom and get less harsh in the mids.
          I suspect it is already broken in a bit; the one I bought was the display/testing cab that was right on the floor in their "nice amp" room. It's definitely not as strident as some "right out of the box" V30 cabs I've heard before.

Comment

Congrats! I've been listening to clips of it, and it does seem like a big-sounding 1x12.

I have an Orange 1x12, and it's REALLY boxy-sounding with the stock V30. I swapped out the speaker, but I think the boxiness is inherent to the cab. At least under the mic. I'm thinking about selling it and finding something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              Congrats! I've been listening to clips of it, and it does seem like a big-sounding 1x12.
              It's amazing what additional internal volume will do for a cab; it's nearly as wide as my 4x12s. Easiest way to sound big is to be big, I guess!

Comment

"Big sounding 1x12" ..... sorry made me laugh.

FWIW Tremonti doesn't use 1x12's

This is his "small" rig.
                Last edited by JMP/HBE; 12-23-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

^I have a 4x12 too. I don't see what's wrong with looking for a good-sounding 1x12 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    ^I have a 4x12 too. I don't see what's wrong with looking for a good-sounding 1x12 as well.
                    There is nothing wrong with it. In fact many of us us rarely play in an environment where we could use a 4/12 so we need big sounding smaller cabs. The PRS is a really good one BTW. I have owned a blackstar 1/12 for a few years that I dropped a WGS Retro in and flat kills so---.
                    Here is my Blackstar running unmiced at a local fest with my old Mesa 50cal + head.
                    Last edited by Ascension; 12-23-2019, 11:37 AM.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                      FWIW Tremonti doesn't use 1x12's
                      Be that as it may, this cabinet's model name is still listed as the "PRS Mark Tremonti 1x12".

For me, choosing this cab had nothing to do with Tremonti's name; if anything, that's a drawback (I hate Creed and Alter Bridge). It was the best sounding 1x12 in the store, so it was the one I bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                        Be that as it may, this cabinet's model name is still listed as the "PRS Mark Tremonti 1x12".

For me, choosing this cab had nothing to do with Tremonti's name; if anything, that's a drawback (I hate Creed and Alter Bridge). It was the best sounding 1x12 in the store, so it was the one I bought.

I just scored a 2x12 of UK made V30's. I had two Carvin 4x12's of Chinese V30's and could not stand them and i tried hard to love them. Had an annoying midrange could not dial out. However the 2x12 i just got with older UK made V30's is fantastic and for a 2x12 i was blown away how big the sound could get.
                        Still nothing beats a 4x12 for depth but my spine & I are getting older. My days of lugging a 4x12 are numbered.

Comment

Working...
                        X