Texas Music Store Massacre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Music Store Massacre

OK, I've been in negotiation with a music store in small town Texas. The guy and his wife ran the store for 43 years, taking care of the kids in band, orchestra, and so on - while selling stuff for live bands like guitars, amps, drums, and the like. They are closing up and moving to a big city to retire. I should mention the store has a recording studio in the back room, too.

This last week I drove down to view the stock, and we hammered out a deal on all the guitar parts (loads of bone nuts and saddles), and all the musical instrument strings. I haven't sorted it all out yet, but I can tell you I don't need the violin strings and such as that. Not very many guitars left, one doghouse bass, no drums, a clarinet, a flute, and such as that. LOTS of music songbooks which a local place here in Wichita will purchase. How about over 100 vinyl records - mostly country and gospel? I will buy all the microphones - mostly Shure and EV stuff. Anyone interested in the 24 channel AudioCentron mixer? It weighs a ton.

Once I get it all back home, I'll list it with some pictures and offer it to forum members first. I'm buying it at fire sale prices, so expect to buy it from me at market wholesale or less. More later. Merry Christmas!
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: Texas Music Store Massacre

Badass! Looking forward to seeing it all.

Comment

Here's the mics: How about a Shure SM7, a bunch of SM87's, a couple SM63L's, and several EV RE320's out of the studio? He's also got a buttload of V-Tech mics in boxes he used for rentals. Don't know anything about them except they will work on batteries or phantom power, and have dual settings for high or low z.

Most of the guitars are cheap Johnson acoustics, but there are 2 nice Loar hollow-body electrics. Some Nady stuff, some cheap stomp boxes, a small JBL PA (new in box).

I brought the strings home with me, and there were a number of surprises..... How about 2 complete sets of La Bella strings for Chromaharp? These string packs are over an inch thick. Lots of violin strings, classical nylon stuff, etc. The new stuff is D'Addario stuff for flattops and electrics. Lots of singles, too. Will add those to my stock.

For now - back to Christmas and family.

Comment

Electric bass strings?
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'm always looking for more mics, can't wait to hear the prices

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
            I'm always looking for more mics, can't wait to hear the prices
            +1

I'm looking for an SM7, so very interested in the price on that. I'd also love to acquire an SM81 if they happen to have one.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              +1

I'm looking for an SM7, so very interested in the price on that. I'd also love to acquire an SM81 if they happen to have one.
              I've already got an SM7b, so I won't fight you on that one.

Comment

A recording studio here in Wichita has offered me $275 on the SM7..... Anyone beat that?

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  A recording studio here in Wichita has offered me $275 on the SM7..... Anyone beat that?
                  I'll pass.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Looking forward to pricing the 87s and 320s and whatever other cool toys are on the list....

Comment

Let me know on the chromoharp strings.My wife has had an electric Oscar Schmidt autoharp for over 40 years.... with the original strings! I'd like to re-string it for her.

Comment

Just got back from Texas with the truck on Wednesday, the 29th. Most of the stuff has been spoken for by local music stores, studios, and clients - BUT I will take pictures soon of the stuff that's left. I am kinda busy taking care of my 80 plus parents (I live with Dad), and since I am the designated "fixer" for the family, I am trying to juggle the troubles of an aunt who just had a stroke, keeping two suicidal nieces out of the slammer, delivering all the various goods, and so on. I don't have time to do any repairs right now - barely have time to post here whenever I get a minute to sit down. Did I mention I seldom sleep? I could really use a nap. Maybe this weekend.....
                        Last edited by ICTGoober; 03-29-2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to it. Also had to take Power Of Attorney over my mother this last year so identify with much your going through. Prayers your way as understand well the stress and challenges!!
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Let me know on the chromoharp strings.My wife has had an electric Oscar Schmidt autoharp for over 40 years.... with the original strings! I'd like to re-string it for her.
                            These are La Bella electric autoharp strings - 9 strings in the set. I don't think these are what you want....

Comment

Sorry it took so long to get back to this guys...

Anyway - How about a Loar LH-304T thinbody acoustic electric in brown sunburst? It hung in the store for 5 years, but it's in good shape. The bridge pickup ring was way too short, so it's been shimmed with rubber spacers ala the Rich Severson method. Bridge pickup sounds great for rockabilly tones, the neck for blues, country, pop stuff. Plays nice, strung with tens.

Way cool 1940's maroon and gold Kalamazoo KEH lap steel (C model?) in original chipboard case. Very good condition, stock Kluson plate tuners replaced with individual Kluson tuners. Still have the originals in a bag. The plastic buttons are gone, but the stems turn easily. Still has the cord attached, sounds great tuned to open E right now. It's neat!

Pics soon, guys. The micro SD card in my camera croaked. I might have some old ones somewhere..... we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X