banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to isolate a reverb tank in a head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to isolate a reverb tank in a head.

My carvin X 50 head has a really good reverb but it's also picking up vibration badly. Can hear the boing when walking close to it for example tightened up the screws but it needs something to isolate it and keep it from picking up vibration. Uss a long accutronics tank.
    Suggestions? Thinking some o rings or some thing between the tank and the cab.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Need to isolate a reverb tank in a head.

Foam weatherstripping would be my first thought. You can trim it as thick or as thin as you would like.

Comment

My Fender has rubber o-rings and they work great. I am sure you can find something under a buck at Home Depot.

Comment

Mine is in a vinyl bag that hangs slightly. You can knock on the head and it does not get picked up by the reverb. I believe you can buy the bags (?) but it would be super easy to make with a small piece of vinyl from a Joann fabric store. You wouldn't even have to sew: just cut enough to wrap around the tank like a burrito then use two screws at each end to attach it and keep the tank in there.

Comment

My Belair had the same problem
          I had pulled the tank for something and didnt put the isolator washers back

Tightened the screws too tight

Dang

Couple of thick o rings from the hardware store should do it

Dont tighten it down , just snug
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Pulled the tank and the isolators were intact it was a big accutronics tank bolted to the front of the head case. Wonder if the screws were over tightened and the isolators compressed? I would up using auto weather striping down the sides of the tank between the isolators to give it some extra insulation and so far so good. Strange seeing a large tank like this mounted on it's side instead of flat though.
            Last edited by Ascension; 01-06-2020, 11:10 PM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

has it always been this way? accutronics used to make tanks that were designed for front mounts like that but i havent found a good replacement. the fender reverb units are all like this, mounted with the tank 90 degrees from where they would be in a twin reverb for example. i assume the isolators are squished so id get some new ones and dont over tighten it. thats also the way spring reverb works so there is only so much you can do if you are on a bouncy riser or something

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                has it always been this way? accutronics used to make tanks that were designed for front mounts like that but i havent found a good replacement. the fender reverb units are all like this, mounted with the tank 90 degrees from where they would be in a twin reverb for example. i assume the isolators are squished so id get some new ones and dont over tighten it. thats also the way spring reverb works so there is only so much you can do if you are on a bouncy riser or something
                Yep was designed that way. The isolators looked fine but may have been overtighthened when I removed it as could not really see how compressed they were.
                I ran some strips of good automotive weather stripping along the edge of the tank between the isolators so it's pretty well insulated now from the head case.
                Guitars

Comment

oh, i knew it was designed that way (or assumed so) i was asking if it was always so sensitive. sorry i wasnt clear. i have a dual showman reverb and fender stand alone unit that have vertically mounted tanks and they arent bad at all but if you are on a bouncy drum riser or stage (or train gig) they splash if there is a fair amount of motion. more so than my horizontal mounted fender reverb combos

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    oh, i knew it was designed that way (or assumed so) i was asking if it was always so sensitive. sorry i wasnt clear. i have a dual showman reverb and fender stand alone unit that have vertically mounted tanks and they arent bad at all but if you are on a bouncy drum riser or stage (or train gig) they splash if there is a fair amount of motion. more so than my horizontal mounted fender reverb combos
                    Had been like this since I found it in a Anvil case in a Pawn shop couple years ago. This one was a LOT more touchy than it should have been. I had a Fender Prosonic head at one time I bought from Brad Whitford that Bruce Zinky handbuilt and gave him that had the 120 watt Tonemaster power section and a Accurtronic tank vertically bolted to the outside of the back cover of the amp. It was fine so knew it wasn't just how the tank was mounted.
                    The amp is MUCH better now after I pulled the tank and added the weather stripping then reinstalled it being careful not to over tighten it and compress the isolators and weather stripping.
                    Guitars

Comment

Working...
                    X