Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTM60 of Classic 50

Hi all!

I have the opportunity to trade my Marshall jtm60 with a Peavey Classic 50.

I play mostly southern rock and some covers like queen, Zeppelin, Hendrix, dire straits etc. I use a Line6 HD500X(no amp sim!) DIY strat with handwound custom pickups and a P90 in the bridge, + a Guild Starfire V with stock LB-1 pickups.

I only use the clean channel now with the Marshall and I'm using drives from the Line6 because the Marshall drive sounds a bit harsh.

I'm not asking what the difference is between those two(vs) but which will suit me best with my gear and music style.

Does any one have experience with these 2 amps?

Thanks!
    Marco

Re: JTM60 of Classic 50

only you can answer that question. they are both fine amps, two channels and reverb with similar power. if you dont like the marshall drive channel, then maybe the peavey would suit you better?

Comment

I decided to keep the amp and replace the speaker with a Fullback G15V-100 15"

Let's see how this affects the sound!

(It's not that I'm not happy with the Marshall!)
      Last edited by dudiluty; 12-25-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dudiluty View Post
        I decided to keep the amp and replace the speaker with a Fullback G15V-100 15"

Let's see how this affects the sound!

(It's not that I'm not happy with the Marshall!)
        I didn't know they made those as a 1x15, and a speaker swap is a great way to fine-tune the tone of an amp. If you're still finding it a bit harsh it may also be worth swapping (especially preamp but maybe also power amp) tubes.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Last september the tubes were replaced by JJ tubes. All of them.

I have to use a EQ now to fatten up my tone. There is not much bass in the Marshall. I missed that sparkling tone.. sweet highs en mids with a full round bass tone. That's why I always have the eq on in the hd500x.

I don't use the drive channel (yet) of the Marshall.. maybe I do after the speaker change. But the drive of the hd500x sounds good too. I really like the old Marshall drives and fender cleans so that's why I bought this amp. This amp is well known for his sweet clean channel and the good classic gain channel.
          Last edited by dudiluty; 12-25-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dudiluty View Post
            Last september the tubes were replaced by JJ tubes. All of them.
            IME JJ ECC83s tend to be very smooth in the high end with a rather forward midrange. I love them in my Jet City JCA22H, but don't care for them in my Marshalls or Egnater. The JCA is a very bright amp that has a tendency to get grainy, and the JJs smooth that out nicely. In my Marshall Jubilees OTOH, I can dial in a great overdriven tone with the JJs, but the clean sounds rather dull and flat. I imagine that if I EQ'd the amp for a sparkly clean sound, that the overdrive would be really bright and harsh. My favorite V1 tube in a Marshall is a Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissue; it's bright but not harsh with a solid low end and maybe slightly less mids than a JJ.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I have not had good luck with all of any single brand tubes in a Peavey. If you should end up with the Classic 50, try a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1, JJ ECC803S in V2, Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3 and JJ EL84s for V4-V7. If not, the Tung Sol 12AX7 is usually a good V1 in any amplifier.
              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                I have not had good luck with all of any single brand tubes in a Peavey. If you should end up with the Classic 50, try a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1, JJ ECC803S in V2, Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3 and JJ EL84s for V4-V7. If not, the Tung Sol 12AX7 is usually a good V1 in any amplifier.
                I second this. I have a Classic 30 and with a speaker change and the tube compliment above it absolutely rocks.

Comment

Working...
                X