banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First complete mix with new Monitors (and new modeler)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First complete mix with new Monitors (and new modeler)

Not a song ..more like an audio clip test/70's jam..

Just wondering if it's balanced? (Sounds ok to me..)

I have always been crappy with bass tones..but this time it sounds reasonably good to me..

I used a couple of free drum loops (MT dummer II)...my bass (Ibby SR something) into a Behringer BG121 pedal -> Reaper...a couple of rhythm tracks (crunch) & a couple of hammond-ish synth-guitar tracks from the Mooer GE300. Did a bit of panning/some compression for the bass etc...Then jammed a solo over it.. & mixed the whole thing.

Feel welcome to critisise/give me tips 'cause my mixing usually sucks and I want to learn better
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: First complete mix with new Monitors (and new modeler)

I like the guitar tones! The rhythm playing seems out of time and very "tentative"? Some nice ideas on the lead line. The keyboard (?) part is problematic; it's taking up a lot of sonic space that belongs to the guitar and you have to decide which is going to be louder; right now the keyboard is louder and it sounds pretty harsh/grating. A useful trick is to get the rhythm guitar and synths to the same level as the snare drum, pan the synth, and then take a low pass filter to it. Keep lowering it until you can't hear the synth, and then put just a touch of the high freqs back.
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 12-26-2019, 03:11 PM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Yep, I agree with TO, sounds a little congested.
      If the guitar is supposed to be the main object
      of the recording it needs a little more room to
      breathe. I like the guitar tone. Good job.

Comment

Thank you guys ..yeah I did think it was stuffy in the mids & a bit jarring lol.. I was trying to get a sort of jammy Doors-ish vibe with the keys..more laidback like it is in this new mix below..but I think it got too loud/screechy...

Yeah one of the rhythm tracks was especially sloppy since I'd pretty much just jammed the first track & then kinda forgot what I'd played the second time around..so I was tentative/even sloppier

I think I might have buried the keys a bit too much..but otherwise I did what you suggested Twilight..any better?
        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 12-27-2019, 07:02 AM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

...and V3 which I took a bit of a different approach with..doubled each of the rhythm tracks & then panned them so I had one each of my original left and right tracks/takes on each side (ie one left & right take on the left & one left & right take on the right) Then I reset my levels again & remixed the whole thing...the keys are a bit further back now & the rhythm is more assertive I think. I quite like this mix personally (better than the others) ..what do you guys think? Have I got it right yet?

Youtube

Comment

I like V3 the best, definitely sounds better. If the
            lead guitar is meant to be the star of this piece,
            I’d bring it more to the forefront. What this
            reminds me of is the jamming section at the
            end of a song when the vocalist would be
            improvising over the band into a fade out.
            I like the music.

Comment

Thanks

I just wanted something with as many instruments/tracks as I could muster to see if I could hear it all clearly with my new monitors and do a decent-ish balanced mix. More of a test than anything. That's why I added the (guitar) synth tracks. Would've sung too if my singing wasn't as terrible as it is lol. I think it turned out ok..better than the stuff I usually do I guess if this mix was properly mastered etc. it would be a reasonably acceptable/decent sound.

Youtube

Comment

Decided to give it one last go. This is the way I intended it to be as far as levels/balance goes..with the solo sort of weaving in & out of the guitar-synth melody (not really taking the lead) 'cause I did'nt really want to bury that sweet synth work .

So I raised the solo in the mix but also raised the g-synth part a bit....smoothed out a few other little things & I'm done now. I think it sounds pretty nice & I can't do any better.. so..

Youtube

Comment

The balance is just fine. Has your signature “layers of leads with lots of delay” which is a little distracting for me but it’s your sound, I’d be able to pick it out of a lineup. Second one is better. Still quite “smudgy.” Is that what you’re going for? If not, less lead layers and a lot less delay will clean it up.
                  Last edited by El Dunco; 12-29-2019, 06:57 AM.
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Thanks for your input! Mostly with the new monitors I wanted to know about the balance...so I'm glad you mentioned that.

If it sounds right to you as well then they're (monitor's) doing the job

I think that's the best mix I could hope for considering my mixing abilities lol. I just used a stock lead preset off my modeler that I liked. It's not that I dig delay..I'm just too lazy to dial it back in the preset It sounds ok to me to be honest...

Youtube

Comment

It just goes to show how big a part performance and going easy on the effects plays in the polished feel of a production. If you like it, more power to you but I'd really love to hear exactly what's going on under all that delay.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Yup ..that's how I like it

I'm not really into uber-polished productions. I mean everything I post on here is me *****ing about modern samey-sounding/clinical/plastic sounds that every crappy metalcore mix has these days. That's not really my thing & it's fine if this is'nt your's

But personally I think it's good enough of a sound & I can follow what's going on fine. Yeah it was a bit stuffy in the mids initially, (but as you said it sounds pretty balanced now..a couple of mixes later) & yeah there's a bit of delay on the solo (not excessive to me) but I like it that way and both Twilight & Bluesnmettle seemed to be ok with the lead tone too ..so different strokes man.
                        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 12-29-2019, 09:45 AM.

Youtube

Comment

I appreciate your ability to bend in key.
                          Have fun on your mixing journey!
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

sounds good to me, I like that sorta layering

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                              I appreciate your ability to bend in key.
                              Have fun on your mixing journey!
                              Thanks dude

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                              sounds good to me, I like that sorta layering
                              Thank you! The layering you guys are talking about is actually two synth-guitar tracks (one playing chords, one just a single-note recurring [loop-like] melody) & then my regular guitar solo over that (for a total of 3 tracks) so just one solo & no layers...

The Mooer allows you to press the "synth" button and that adds 'synth' to the preset you're currently using (and you can pick the synth-type/adjust the mix levels ..though I just used the default type/levels). So the 'synth' I used here was just a guitar lead preset that I added 'synth' to. You can also use just the synth (a synth preset) on it's own without any guitar preset (ie..100% synth sound) ..did'nt do that though.
                              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 01-03-2020, 08:41 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X