Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's got a Plot 2 Kill!

I Recorded this tonight.
    Used both Marshall's and both explorers.
    It's about a pissed off woman who's going to kill someone.

Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: She's got a Plot 2 Kill!

This morning I retracked the intro, the guitar tracks, and the solo...... It turns out the guitar was slightly out of tune.... Could only hear it on the chorus part and it was driving me crazy.

Who ever thought to make sure your guitar is in tune before recording..... great tip! I blame the tuner.

Comment

cute!!! nice concept, I like the vocals, somewhat Danzig-y

Comment

tell her to calm the F down.

j/k - like the tune. wow that's a lot of gain, hehe

Comment

Thanks! I love the gainz!

Comment

Fun! I think the vocal track is clipping though... what's your mic and signal chain? Did you record it hot going in?
            Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
            Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
            Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
            Marshall 1960a
            Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by AmirH View Post
              Fun! I think the vocal track is clipping though... what's your mic and signal chain? Did you record it hot going in?
              Oh it could be, I'm not great with vocal recording yet.
              Mic was a SM58 into a little alesis 4 channel usb mixer set neutral. Post process was a bit of compression and a bit of gain. Maybe the volume of the mixer was too high going into the daw
              Last edited by 80's_Metal; 01-18-2020, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Hmm. It's hard to say if you clipped on the way in, but if you added gain after the fact, it's possible it's just clipping in the daw. The performance sounds like it was delivered with a lot of volume, which is why that's my first guess, but you can check by looking at the vocal track waveform. If the track itself clipped on the way in, the waveform will have peaks that flatten out at 0db. Solo the track and listen to whether it clips on its own, and whether the volume meter for the project hits the red. If it's just clipping in the daw, you'll be able to reduce the gain and adjust the compressor ratio and threshold until it stops clipping. If it clipped going in, no amount of mixing can salvage the track. If you can get it to stop audibly clipping while soloed, it means you had the levels set too high. If you achieve this but still experience clipping after un-soloing the track, it means the track levels are set too high in relation to each other and/or that you have tracks fighting for space in the mix (which is where panning and eq can be helpful). Generally speaking, I also find it's helpful to use the outputs of your plugins to incrementally adjust track volumes while trying to achieve the desired levels, paying attention to how each one impacts the sound.
                Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                Marshall 1960a
                Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

That's all good info, thanks.

Comment

For sure.
                    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                    Marshall 1960a
                    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Awesome man. I was rocking out straight off the bat. I actually like the vocal clipping a lot. I think it gives it a unique feel and you should keep it. I would probably work on the solo though. I think you were going for tension building with a few scales that are not specifically in the key of the bed track. I think when you do that, you gotta "plant it back" every few bars by playing very strong chord tones again (bends, double stops, whatever). So i didn't get enough "Planting" in the solo personally. You played outside quite a bit in the solo, but didn't plant it back down periodically. This is a concept in jazz - "tension and release" that applies to every music style. I think if you keep the solo the same, but work on very strong resolutions to each pocket of tension, it would have a very strong effect.
                      my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                      A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Working...
                      X