Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Jazz bass advice

Hello,
    First post for me!!! I've been playing inexpensive basses for a long time - mainly Yamahas (I really like the RBX550 that i've got, but I think it's time for an upgrade). I've always, always wanted a J-bass, but have never had the funds to stretch to it. Recently I've come into quite a bit of cash and I'm considering buying a vintage jazz bass, partially because they make me excited in my soul, and partially because I want it to be a fun way to save the money I've got (in case I need to sell it in the future to get my cash back). Has anyone got any tips on what I should be looking for, and how much I should expect to pay? I can see 1973 vintage basses for about 3000 GBP (c4700 USD) advertised, and I saw an advert recently for a 1983 model (almost vinatge) for 1000 GBP (1600 USD).Has anyone got advice on what to look for an how not to get ripped off they'd be willing to share with me?

Re: Vintage Jazz bass advice

For the moment, I'd recommend putting your wallet away and get your hands on as many as you can. Newer instruments are way, way more consistent than vintage, so while I'll buy a PRS sight unseen and trust that it'll be awesome, I would not do the same with any old guitar. For instance, I've been through a ton of Strats, from cheapo Squiers to MIM Fender to Korean G&L to American stuff from various eras. Wanna know what the worst one (by FAR) was? A real 1973. When I was 17, I had the opportunity to buy it for $150, and even that early on, I could tell the guitar sucked. My dad ended up buying it, and no matter how much setup work I do, it's still a POS.

But yeah, get out and play as many Jazz basses as you can, and when you get ahold of the right one, you'll know. Be prepared to buy in any instance, but don't be too anxious to do so.

Also, welcome to the forum, and please hit up The Bassment. We need more traffic there!
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

If you’re just looking for a vintage player bass, get a refin. You’ll save a ton of money (they’re worth about half of those that haven’t been re-fin’d), and you won’t have to worry about being super careful with it.

As for year, learn your specs and decide based on personal opinion. Personally, I like the pre-block-inlay years only. I just don’t like the blocks – too clunky looking. Bound with dots and lollipops is by far my favorite Jazz Bass look, though it was short lived.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Good call on the refin.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
        X