Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mustang project?

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    That's a straw man. I never said I wanted hums to sound identical to a single coil despite the changes that the constructions causes. Go back and read my posts if you're actually concerned about understanding my point of view instead of trying to establish that I was the ignorant one.
    the bucker/strat comment was directly related to your previous post. not tryin to be a dick and didnt say anything about anyone being ignorant and i did read your descriptions and i shook my head when i read em the first time, and the second its not a point of view that needs understanding. its "can this be done to my satisfaction?" the answer was no from the start. if you were less picky tonally (not that you should be) or didnt dictate specs then maybe it could have been closer. im sure they are cool pups, just not what you wanted.

Comment

Thx. Yeah I'm just triggerded because of poor communication. I mean, to me the Pearly Gates has the exact flavor of a strat, aside from the charactertics that a humbucker construction causes. I thought it would be pretty simple to do the same with my pickups because I wasn't asking them to change anything, just make them hotter. And hum bobbins have pretty similar geometry to strat bobbins, I thought it would be pretty simple to just stick 2 Jaguar winds together. But no. I specifically like the effects of hum and mini hum construction and of overwound coils. And I specifically don't like the effects of vintage output single coils. Although I love the TONE COLOR of the ant mustang and jaguar. How 4 different single coils of the same construction, strat, jag, mustang, duo, can have different sounds or characters is what I'm referring to as the tone color. I was just trying to communicate that all I wanted were the ant mustang and ant jaguar winds and that I would be happy for and counting on the changes from the different construction and overwind. But they wouldn't listen to me.

Parodied conversation between me and Dennis:

You can't make a humbucker sound like a single coil
      No ****
      If you overwind a pickup it loses highs and gains mids
      I know, that's what I want
      ignores me
      It won't sound exactly like a mustang single coil
      I know, that's what I want. I just want the wind in the mini hum contruction.
      So you want it to sound kind of like a jaguar?
      No, I want the ant jaguar coils in a humbucker, I don't care if it doesn't sound exactly the same.
      So what is it about the jaguar that you like?
      I like the tone color of it, how it sounds kind of like a strat but different.
      Takes my general tone description and this ends up being what MJ winds to instead of just putting mustang and jaguar coils like I asked for regardless of the outcome.

Oh well. Not gonna tell professionals how to do their job. Just thought it would come out more professional than me sticking a myth set in a hum slot and running them in series. And since it says on the cs website to just tell them how you want it to sound and they'll build it for you. It will end up coming out well with me using stock pups.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 02-21-2020, 01:35 PM.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I'm really kinda confused by how you're going about this man.

A pickup sounds different depending on it's relationship to the bridge because of the different string vibrations that will be picked up.

A pickup sounds different depending on it's overall construction (humbuckers don't sound much like single coils).

A pickup sounds different when you change the wind that it has.

You are dead set on getting a particular single coil tone . . . but you're changing all three of the above. Seems kinda like playing darts blind. You might be able to guess roughly the right direction to throw in based on the screams of other people in the bar, but you're not likely to hit anywhere near the bullseye.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          Seems kinda like playing darts blind. You might be able to guess roughly the right direction to throw in based on the screams of other people in the bar, but you're not likely to hit anywhere near the bullseye.
          Haha

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          A pickup sounds different depending on it's relationship to the bridge because of the different string vibrations that will be picked up.

A pickup sounds different depending on it's overall construction (humbuckers don't sound much like single coils).

A pickup sounds different when you change the wind that it has.
          No ****. Did you try to understand any of my last post?

I'm over it. Gonna stick 2 ant mustangs in the neck slot and run them in series cuz I know that will sound good. And put a JB in the bridge and try double thick A2,3,6.

Ok. I will try one last time to make you understand what I'm talking about. Gonna put the myth set in series with each other in the neck slot because I know it will sound good. I had a pos mustang with ssl1s in series with each other and it sounded bad ass. BUT IT WILL SOUND DIFFERENT IF THEY'RE IN SERIES THO!! No ****!! In a good way. You can still hear the exact character represented from the ssl1s in the new form factor and output level and it sounds good. Did the coils change somehow after I put them in series? No. Why wouldn't it be possible to do that in a professionally made pickup?
          Last edited by Clint 55; 02-21-2020, 02:27 PM.
          I bought them for you

Comment

two ssl1 next to each other (like a bucker) wired in series?

Comment

Yeah it sounds incredible. All the glass from the ssl1s ran into the gain of them both in series and made some crazy good pawn shop tone. I might have to bring it back. Maybe put 2 ssl2s on a baseplate and put tape around them and make it look legit. I'm excited about the 2 mustangs I'm going to do that with tho. Done whining. I'm even scheming about another custom shop set that I think they would understand. surfer strat stag mag neck with A5 and flat poles and an overwound pearly gates bridge. That would work I think!!
              Last edited by Clint 55; 02-21-2020, 05:06 PM.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Isn't two single coils stuck together pretty much the idea behind a stag mag? I'd have figured modifying that pickup would get you closest to what you're looking for.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You're right. Looking back, that would have been the best pup to start with to modify. Gonna go with the 2 mustangs since the guitar's a mustang and its my all time favorite single coil. Gonna put them on a hum baseplate and wrap it with tape, it'll look legit and they have flat poles.
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 02-21-2020, 05:11 PM.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Myth set

Click image for larger version

Name:	Myth set.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	5818332

I'm out of control. I have an idea of what to stick into an HH pawn shop next, probably a Mustang. Stick a Jaguar and a Red Devil into each H slot! Then I could spin a split to the single coil in the neck and the humbucker in the bridge!!
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Build your own guitar body . . . entirely out of guitar pickups and switches. Think of the switching possibilities!

Comment

Yas
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          Myth set

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103509[/ATTACH]

I'm out of control. I have an idea of what to stick into an HH pawn shop next, probably a Mustang. Stick a Jaguar and a Red Devil into each H slot! Then I could spin a split to the single coil in the neck and the humbucker in the bridge!!
                          I really like that idea! See that's cool. You should work at fender since their idea of innovation right now is let's make a telecaster with a Strat body and reissue stuff from the 80's, and add features nobody wants to the American stratocaster line so they're almost as expensive as Gibsons now and get further and further away from Leo's vision

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Thx! Yeah too true about Fender.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

I've always wanted a Mustang, but they never really felt right to me. It would be a fun project to start on though. The start of the build look pretty sweet. I'm anxious to hear what the pups actually sound like. You sure are getting a lot of hate for them. haha
                              "In the hair metal days, I didn't want to learn how to play guitar for the girls. I wanted to make noise and make people mad."

-James Hetfield

Comment

Originally posted by toneking77 View Post
                                You sure are getting a lot of hate for them. haha
                                Lel. Yeah I don't like the regular Mustang design with the worst bridge ever. I had a cv mustang that I put a hardtail on but in the end was just too pos for me. That was the guitar that I had ssl1s in series in the hb slots. It sounded great. I'm pretty sure the myth set in series in the neck and the JB in the bridge will sound terrif. The guitar itself is solid.
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X