Mustang project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang project?

Should I undertake a Squier Bullet Mustang project? My other guitars are pretty legit and I'm missing the pawn shop tone that I'd get when I started modding Squiers. I want to do it legit this time. The pups I'm thinking would be CS Duncans. The neck a Ant Mustang as a mini humbucker and the bridge a Ant Jaguar as a full size humbucker. Then I'd refret it and change the radius to 11", change the tuners, saddles and nut. I think I would be able to do a good job. I would also have to route a pickguard. I would angle the neck and move the bridge towards the neck. The only thing about my craftsmanship that gets under my skin is it's really tough to get the string spacing perfect on nuts I build. Think I should go for the project? It would be challenging. Any input on the spex?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	5853254
    Yas
    41.67%
    No
    58.33%
    Last edited by Clint 55; 12-27-2019, 04:34 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Mustang project?

A Squier could be a good base for the project, but I don't think a Bullet would be your best bet. If you do decide to use a Bullet, I'd buy it in person, the necks can be very hit or miss.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Well the Bullet actually has the spex I want. 24.75" scale, hardtail, and I'm guessing no finish on the neck. If I were to spend more, I'd just get a Warmoth 24.5" strat neck. Maybe I should just get a Warmoth neck and a custom pickguard and do it legit. Anyone know of a place that will make me a Mustang pickguard with an angled mini hum neck and a hum bridge moved forward? I can call pickguards.com on Monday I guess.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 12-27-2019, 05:47 PM.
      I bought them for you

Comment

I've never gelled with a Mustang, personally. Also the one in the picture has the neck humbucker in the wrong spot, so it's not going to sound right. Me, I wouldn't touch this project with a ten ft pole. But you and I have very different tastes. :P
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'll second that low end Squier necks are a total crapshoot. After fighting the roller coaster track that was on my Affinity P bass, I put an Allparts neck I scored on the cheap ($75, woo-hoo!) on it. If I hadn't replaced the neck, it would've been OK with the Ant 2 P bass pickup, but with the new neck it's insane. Expecting the higher quality bridge that's on the way to help, as well.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

^ Ya, I'm leaning towards just getting a Warmoth neck. I know I will be happy with that. I noticed the Warmoth Strat 24.75" conversion necks overhang the pickguard a little bit to change the strat scale and the Bullet Mustang doesn't overhang. So that would mean I'd have to move the saddles back if I put the Warmoth Strat conversion neck on the Bullet Mustang right? Worse case, I'd have to move the bridge back which wouldn't be too hard.

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            I've never gelled with a Mustang, personally. Also the one in the picture has the neck humbucker in the wrong spot, so it's not going to sound right. Me, I wouldn't touch this project with a ten ft pole. But you and I have very different tastes. :P
            I'm gonna try to put an angled mini hum in the neck. I'm not going for full fat. I want it kind of skanky for different sounds than my more legit guitars. Gonna move the bridge forward maybe a quarter or half inch. I had a Squier Mustang before that I liked but it was just a little too cheap to keep. With the routed out bridge, cheap nut and little frets. Also the Ant Mustang and Jaguar are some of my favorite pups ever and I want to build cs hot hb versions and put them in something.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 12-27-2019, 07:00 PM.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Methinx I'm gonna pull the trigger on this one. I need a pawn shop ax. Gonna go with the bullet body, Warmoth 24.75" Jazzmaster neck, and the cs Duncans. I think I'll get the Jazzmaster headstock because it's kind of big like a Mustang but not hella giant and ugly like the cbs headstock.

Does anyone know if the custom shop is on vaca? I'm going to try to call them on Monday.

Also what spex do you think about the pickups? I want them to be hot and balance volume wise. Maybe 11k of 43 for the neck and 16k of 44 for the bridge?
              Last edited by Clint 55; 12-27-2019, 08:03 PM.
              I bought them for you

Comment

If you add a warmoth 24.75" conversion neck, the bridge will have to move back because the conversion neck is designed for bodies with regular 25.5" scale. After moving the bridge, then the bridge p/u route may not quite be in the right place. As an alternative, consider using a Warmoth 7/8 neck with 24 frets and 24.75" scale. It is not guarateed to be 100% exact fit, and will require some work. However it will be very close to having correct intonation when used on a mustang body, and you may not need to move the bridge at all.

Comment

That might actually work well if I have to move the bridge back. I want the bridge pup to be forward a little bit for a warmer, skankier sound. I will consider the 7/8 neck but I would still have to do mods and chop off 2 frets anyways cuz I don't want that look on my Mustang.
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 12-27-2019, 08:34 PM.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

With all that work, you’re better off just going the Stratosphere route with Mexican body and a Musikraft neck IMO. If you’re going to refret it and re-radius anyhow, you might as well just save yourself the work and buy the neck the way you want in the first place, with warranty, extremely well-built, with stainless frets so you never need to refret it.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

^ Yeah I think I am going to get a nice Warmoth neck the way I want it. Gonna get the bullet body cuz it's a 24.75" hardtail and I don't want a trem route or kinda short 24".
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Ah; you don’t actually want Mustang scale or Mustang bridge. That changes things quite a lot IMO. It’s a pain in the ass, and rarely ends up looking good, to change the scale length of a pre-existing guitar. And you’re just going to throw away everything off the body except for the finish anyhow. Why don’t you just build your own body? The wood would be cheap, and Mustangs are very easy to mill compared to Strats, or even Teles. And IIRC you like bare wood finishes anyhow. Why not get a beautiful piece of clear pine and make it out of that with a thin oil finish?

What you want is actually closer to a classic Duo-Sonic. It’s unfortunate that Fender/Squire now calls those hardtail models Mustangs, because they are really Duo-Sonics. It just muddies the naming conventions.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yeah. I would get a Fender Duo Sonic but those are expensive and still not to my exact spex. I'm going to keep the finish on the body because I like the sound of finished body and unfinished neck. Finish on everything is too nasal for me. I like everything unfinished as it makes it really clear but kind of middy also. I think finished body and unfinished neck will look good and sound good and be slightly skanky for what I'm going for.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

I bought the Bullet and Warmoth! Now just to track down the people at the Duncan custom shop and order the custom pickguard from pickguards.com.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Cool, man. Looking forward to hearing how this comes out.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X