Mustang project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mustang project?

I just did a full blown setup on one and it is a cool little guit.

The bridge is a weak point but that's easy to sort
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

^ Yep, that's why I'm going with a hardtail. The real Mustang bridges are rough!

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      Cool, man. Looking forward to hearing how this comes out.
      Thx. I'm excited about it. It will be 2 1/2 months tho lol! I have my Fralin Hhh Strat incoming tho.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

It's a 12" radius stock, frets weren't bad except for the ends. Cleaned them up easy enough. Pickups are trash to trashy but that's part of the fun you're looking to have
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Talked with Dennis at the custom shop on the phone and had to battle him a little cuz he said if you build those winds with different construnction it won't sound the same. I said that's what I want lol! Here's my email I sent him.

Hi Dennis, nice talking with you on the phone earlier. I'm Clint, the guy who wants An Antiquity Mustang neck as the wind with mini-humbucker construction and an Antiquity Jaguar bridge as the wind with regular full sized humbucker construction. I understand that these pups would sound differently than the original single coil versions but that's what I'm going for. The Ant Mustang and Jaguar are 2 of my favorite pickups but I don't like single coils that much.

Spex:

Neck: Antiquity Mustang wind with the construction of a mini-humbucker (not single coil size humbucker). I would like the exposed screws through the cover like on the Antiquity mini humbucker. 12k.

Bridge: Antiquity Jaguar wind with the construction of a regular spaced, uncovered, full sized humbucker (no stag mag). Regular white Seymour Duncan logo. 18k.

Both pickups: Double screw (no slug poles), black bobbins, 4 conductor hookup leads, short baseplates, antiquity treatment, no wax potting.

Thanks so much. I would be very happy if you could build these specs. Again, I'm shooting for the differences that different pup construction with these winds will yeild.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 12-30-2019, 12:42 PM.
          I bought them for you

Comment

How is a 12k Mustang pickup wound as a mini humbucker or an 18k Jag wound as a full size humbucker still either of those original things?
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I don't want the original things or I would buy them stock.
              I bought them for you

Comment

The issue with the pickups is that winding resistance becomes a meaningless spec when any of the other parameters are changed. It would be more useful to talk about parameters such as inductance or resonance frequency, but that is also not sufficient to define tone. The point of the custom shop is they are supposed to understand how to tune the specs based on the tone you want to target. It should be an opportunity to gain from their experience. Also, I wonder if it would be worth trying a standard mini humbubucker such as SM-3 set.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                  The issue with the pickups is that winding resistance becomes a meaningless spec when any of the other parameters are changed.
                  I know. I'm judging how much dcr/wire I want based on my experience with each pickup and wire type, not as much comparing the mini to the full size. I already have 2 minis with 43, 1 is 9k and the other is 10k. I'd like to go a little hotter than that since I already have enough vintage/vintage hot pickups, I like hot pickups in the first place, for the spin a split, and to be assured the mustang will sound punchy if the guitar itself isn't super solid.

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                  The point of the custom shop is they are supposed to understand how to tune the specs based on the tone you want to target.
                  The point of the custom shop is for them to build what the customer asks for. If I was sure that I'd get what I want if I gave them more leeway, then yes I would describe in general terms what I want and let them work their work. But I really don't get that impression from them so I'm trying to be as specific as possible. Last time I got a Phat Cat, they were too obstinate to put a 2 conductor hookup and 2 different mags even though that's what I asked for.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

And if Duncan doesn't listen to me, I'm firing them and going to Fralin.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Dennis came through!

Hi,

As we discussed over the phone, because the mini-humbucker and full-sized humbucker are not constructed the same as single coil Mustang or Jaguar pickups, we will be attempting to get a similar tone, but the pickups will not be as clean and chimey as single coils.

The mini humbucker will be $180 per pickup.
                      We would make it with Alnico V magnets and we can wind to 12K, though the higher the DCR, the less high end and flatter the frequency response of the pickup. We can make this with 12 adjustable poles. It will have to have a nickel cover on it. We cannot do exposed bobbins on this type of mini-humbucker. We can do four conductor wiring. Your choice for black or cream mounting ring. You can choose Antiquitied cosmetics for $10 more.

The full sized humbucker will be $160 -180 depending on whether you'd like exposed bobbins or covers. We can do both bobbins with adjustable screws and a 12 hole nickel cover, Full powered Alnico 5 magnets. We can do this to 18K and with four conductor wiring . Once again, the higher the output, the further we get from clean single coil tone.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I can provide a provide an order form if all of this looks good to you.

Thanks
                      Dennis Russell
                      Customer Service and Technical Support
                      Seymour Duncan
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks for explaining the reasons behind your choices. I wonder if it would be safer to go back to Fralin, as they made your previous mini-hums. You project is interesting because of the pickup choices and other unique aspects of the guitar.

Comment

You're welcome. I would be happy with either builder. I went with Duncan first because I spent a lot of time with the ant mustang and jaguar. They were my absolute favorites from my period of modding infancy where I'd put Duncans in Squiers and get pawn shop tone and I have to bring that back but legit.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Looks pretty solid. Alder is my best guess. Not a **** ton of wood routed out. My warmoth neck is in shipment. My cs duncan mustang firebird neck and jaguar hum bridge are paid for. And I just sent out the pickguard to pickguards.com to get a custom blue one with the correct pickup layout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200124_212955.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	5818066
                            Last edited by Clint 55; 01-24-2020, 10:36 PM.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Warmoth neck arrived. The 59 roundback profile feels perfect for me as a thin profile. There's a full fret overhang compared to the other neck so I'm probably gonna have to move the bridge back. I also think the Jazzmaster headstock suits it. A little bigger but not all giant and ugly.

Name:	20200129_120458.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	5818114
                              Last edited by Clint 55; 01-29-2020, 05:15 PM.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Oh it's pawn shop alright. They angled the mini the wrong way lol!

Name:	20200217_102004.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	5818253
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X