Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Still Uses A 100W Amplifer?

Originally posted by wmachine View Post
    Okay Chicken Little, why do you assume because something is now being used less and you don't use it, that it is dead? What makes people think that? That's where all the stories that the guitar is dead come from. Because less are sold new now than before. Well guess what? New guitar sales could be cut off entirely and it wouldn't be the end.
    Better make plans on how you're going to get around in the future, but the car will soon be gone. It is dying. They sold 1% less new cars last year, so say goodbye.
    Now do we have that all out of our system?

My 3 main amps are 100 watt amps. They are not going anywhere.
    I was not asserting the 100W amp is dead.

I figured there are three groups; 1) those who have always used 100W, 2) those who used to use 100W but now use less power and 3) those who never used a 100W. I was thinking replies from the first group might alert me to any potential use I am missing. Replies from the second group might provide some ideas about what to do with 100W amps I am not actively using. Possibly some replies from the third group just on why they never wanted/needed 100W.

I will consider you in the first group, exclusive using NMV 100 watters! Any replies are great!!!

I currently see myself in the second group. In the past 3 years I have not taken more than a 50W amp out of the house. I have sold one 100W head, but I still have two 100W heads, one 120W head, one 120W combo and one 140W head not getting a lot of use.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I never wanted big stuff, but in the 70's I had to keep up with 2 guitarists who each ran 100 watt Ampeg VT-22 heads into 4 speaker cabs. After blowing up several rigs, I finally had 2 custom folded W cabinets built for me loaded with 18" Gauss speakers and an Ampeg V6-B head with 350 watts of power. The first night with those the drummer said he nearly took a dump when I whacked the E playing Godzilla, and engaged my Mutron Phaser. It really fricking rumbled. The dancers stopped and looked around to see if a car had driven into the club. Fun, but I had to borrow a truck before and after every gig.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        I never wanted big stuff, but in the 70's I had to keep up with 2 guitarists who each ran 100 watt Ampeg VT-22 heads into 4 speaker cabs. After blowing up several rigs, I finally had 2 custom folded W cabinets built for me loaded with 18" Gauss speakers and an Ampeg V6-B head with 350 watts of power. The first night with those the drummer said he nearly took a dump when I whacked the E playing Godzilla, and engaged my Mutron Phaser. It really fricking rumbled. The dancers stopped and looked around to see if a car had driven into the club. Fun, but I had to borrow a truck before and after every gig.
        The VT-22 was the 2x12 combo version of the V-4, not a head. And the V-6B was a 240 W solid state amp. The V-9 was the 350 W beast – basically a guitar version of the SVT, with a special nine speaker cab.

V-4s, VT-22s, V-2s, and VT-40s = best sounding amps of all time, IMO. No contest.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-04-2020, 01:50 AM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I use a 100W rack setup, a 50W Marshall (modded to) Plexi, a 22W (or whatever the wattage is) '66 Deluxe.

I have no volume or tone issues because I know how to tame any cranked beast no matter the wattage.

I've had a few 100W Marshalls in the past.

Comment

I just picked up a Line6 Duoverb 2x12 that is 100 watts. It sounds killer good cranked and really nice on low volume. It’s solid state—never used a 100 Watt tune amp before, mainly stuck with 40 watt Fenders Deluxes.

Comment

I use a '70 VT22 with Vintage 30s for outdoor gigs. 120+ watts plus a closed back 2x12. Very loud, pretty clean, does the job.

Comment

I played 100W Stacks at shows this weekend because they were provided by backline -sound awesome onstage but made no difference to the audience.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                X