Who Still Uses A 100W Amplifer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Still Uses A 100W Amplifer?

If you need real clean power with headroom, big amps are the only thing that works. For real punch, play light and when you dig in and spank a chord - the whole crowd will feel it. Little amps just don't move the air.

I have a jazz client who alternates between his Hiwatt or Ampeg heads and a cab loaded with 4 JBL or Altec speakers. He hates moving the rig, but it fills the room with nary a grunt of distortion. His tone is amazing.

If he plays the occasional rock gig, he can mow 'em down with the best of the Marshalls.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That's how I operate- clean power with lots of headroom. But I let the PA do that, and I stand in back of it!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
        I still haul my Mesa Road King head around, all 90 pounds of it. I usually only run pairs of power tubes and run the spongy setting for even lower wattage
        Hats off my friend, my RK combo stays parked in the basement. Just too heavy... I think it’s 102lbs total?

I kind of want to sell it and replace it with a head/2x12...
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have a Mesa Stiletto, which is switchable 50/100.

I generally use it on 50. But I have it and I use it. Then again, it is "brand appropriate" for my band. I also have a 100/25 hybrid Marshall, a 65 Peavey, an 18 H&K, a 30 Roland, a 30 crate, a 10 Roland, and a 15 fender. So, tool for the job.

What I DON'T use is a 4x12, and never 2 4x12's. Just a 2x12 cab. The Mesa choice is one of both sound, features, and reliability.
          Last edited by Aceman; 12-28-2019, 09:20 AM.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Not anymore. While I appreciate the sound, my back hates getting them in the car, and my ears don't prefer ringing. But I celebrate those who still use them! (just don't be in a band with me)
            I'm older, and have arthritis in my spine Dave.

Just my gear weighs as much as your whole band.

Hit the gym. Seriously....
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have a Splawn Quick Rod (100 watts) thru a 4x12, a Peavey Ultra Plus (120 watts) thru an Avatar 2x12 and a Peavey Classic 30 with a single 12. I don't normally use any more than one at a time, I don't need that kind of firepower, but I love the way they sound. The Peavey gets used mostly if I go jam with someone. Id love to find a low watt amp that sounds as good as the big guys, but have never been really fond of EL84s. BUT, there are so many smaller amps coming out that sound good with EL84s, I may look into getting one someday when money allows.
              I used to have an Egnater Tweaker and a small Jet City. I liked those pretty well, but wasnt quite the gain avail that I like..
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I have 2 amps that are 180 watt monsters of pure tube. I have a Fender Studio Bass amp and a Mesa Boogie M190 mono block and both amps utilize 6X5881s. Fortunately the M190 has a very effective attenuator.
                Last edited by Jeffblue; 12-28-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Here's a newsflash Ace : People get old & die. But before they die their bodies start to fall apart. Cya in the nursing home.
                  Yes i play 100 watters & 4x12's. Coming up on 60yrs old. Gravity is real.
                  Last edited by JMP/HBE; 12-28-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I've got a 150 watt Bogner Twin Jet. It sounds massive, with way more punch than any low wattage amp I've ever encountered, even with the master volume at only around 10 'o clock.

I've also got an old 100 watt Laney solid state amp, but that's kind of a different beast.

Comment

Originally posted by mechanic1908 View Post
                      I had a 120 watt. Gave it to my son as i never turned it up past 3 anyways.
                      Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
                      3 is my "sweet spot" on the master volume! Moves air, about as loud as drums, and still crisp and oodles of headroom. I can't play an amp that needs to be cranked, it just feels and sounds all mushy to my hands & ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

No way. I am cool with my quick load in/out, and not once piece of gear is over 20 lbs.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

100 W full stack in my rehearsal space. Because I can.

But 20/10/5 w and 2x12 at home. Because neighbors.
                          --------------------------------------------------------
                          1973 Aria 551
                          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I think a lot of this depends on the style of music you play and the venues you regularly play at.

I use a 100w Marshall JVM with 4x12 or 2x12 in my Maiden tribute band. For hard rock and metal I like a powerful and tight tone. Most modern high gain amps get their distortion from the preamp section and the high wattage gives you a high headroom and powerful power section that won’t get saggy or farty sounding. Also I’m a believer in not running an amp continuously flat out. I like having the extra power and headroom and knowing I’m not stressing the amp. For me the sound of power tube distortion is great for classic rock and blues but is too loose and saggy for me when playing metal.

For my classic rock and blues cover band gig I have a few low wattage tube amps that I can crank up like a Fender Deluxe but for small shows with quick load in and small stage space I mostly rely on my Quilter Pro Block 200w with a Sansamp Flyrig 5 v2 for preamp tones and effects. I can just bring a small 1x12 cab and I can do a simple load in one shot. If needed I can also run the Flyrig out to the PA with no amp. The quilter is ridiculously loud and only weighs a few lbs. I actually bring it as a backup when I’m running a tube amp at a live show.

Comment

100w heads are what rock and roll is all about!
                              (Well...and booze and boobs)
                              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I'll never sell my Jubilee 2555, but it doesn't get a lot of play time these days. I love how it sounds, but it's far too loud for most rooms and it's not getting any lighter as the years go by. I haven't gigged recently, but I have played in a few rooms with really poor PA where I'd still need it. Otherwise I'm rocking a 2525H in 20W mode through a ported 1x12 on a stand. With an Emi Wizard @ 103.5db it's plenty loud for stage volume in most situations. For slightly bigger stages I also have a ported 2x12 loaded with a pair of Wizards.
                                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                                X