Who Still Uses A 100W Amplifer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Still Uses A 100W Amplifer?

My next couple of gigs are using a backline company in each venue, so I have them providing JCM800 100W with 1960a Cabs -because it was the best amp options on the list.

But as for pushing around my own equipment to gigs? my 100W heads haven't left the house in 5-6 years.

Sound Reinforcement is so good nowadays, I just don't see the reason to work so hard.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Jet City 100H LTD into a Jet City JCA48ST cab loaded with vintage 30’s for one band and a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 into a Marshall JCM800 1960a cab loaded with original white label G12T75’s for the other band.
      1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
      2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
      2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
      2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
      2019 Gibson Original Collection Les Paul Special
      -------
      1979 Marshall JMP 2204
      1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
      2021 Epic Amplification AR50
      2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Let's just tell the truth. Yeah, our half stacks sound fantastic but they look ****ing beyond cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          Let's just tell the truth. Yeah, our half stacks sound fantastic but they look ****ing beyond cool.
          Finally.

Stacks and Half Stacks haven't been sonically essential since the 80s with the advent of Rare Earth Magnet Drivers, Subwoofer tech, Switching Power Supplies, In Ear Monitors, DSP, digital crossovers, Moving away from Push Pull Power Mains, Feedback extermination, Real Time Digital Array management with RTA analysis etc etc etc -the list goes on and on and on....

But for the show, they look so damn pro and cool.

It's a fashion more than a function at this point
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I don't know, my Line 6 Spidervalve into my Carvin half stack loaded with the despised 12M-70's sounds pretty massive.
            As the neighborhood will be reminded of at midnight.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              I don't know, my Line 6 Spidervalve into my Carvin half stack loaded with the despised 12M-70's sounds pretty massive.
              As the neighborhood will be reminded of at midnight.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
              On their own, yes -but my point is in a performance setting, sound reinforcement is so good now, that the fullness you hear in 4 or 8 speakers can be achieved effectively through a modern soundsystem on stage monitoring system reproducing sound from a smaller original rig.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                Finally.

Stacks and Half Stacks haven't been sonically essential since the 80s with the advent of Rare Earth Magnet Drivers, Subwoofer tech, Switching Power Supplies, In Ear Monitors, DSP, digital crossovers, Moving away from Push Pull Power Mains, Feedback extermination, Real Time Digital Array management with RTA analysis etc etc etc -the list goes on and on and on....

But for the show, they look so damn pro and cool.

It's a fashion more than a function at this point
                My band makes a fashion statement - but we balanced e age w/ cool by using 2x12
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  My band makes a fashion statement
                  Indeed, you guys know how to hit all the marks!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                    Who Still Uses A 100W Amplifer?
                    I have a couple for bedroom amps.

Comment

Pulled my 15 watt PRS MT 15 because I could not control it at low volume now running my 50 watt Mesa Boogie DC 5 as my home studio bedroom practice rig and have no problem with it or my Carvin X50 B at low volume. The DC 5 is louder than most 100 watt Marshalls BTW so---.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I was just playing my 13-watt Fender and my ears are still ringing.

Comment

Boy this comes up online a lot lately. I've got 5, 15, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 100w amps available to use. I gigged with the 15w last night and probably will indefinitely. Might upgrade to a whole 20 watts down the line. Not exactly playing Red Rocks or Alpine Valley though. There's a Super Lead four feet away from me right now but I haven't fired it up in months. It's a dinosaur. It's got a 50w switch but I think I'll replace it with a master volume.

I've got an HT-5 on the desk and since I don't live alone anymore I just use the emulated out into some PC speakers. I leave the amp in standby mostly now. A JVM or something like that would be cool for loud, heavy stuff but I think I'll try running my little HT-5 through a PS2 first, or just straight into the board. It actually sounds okay. All that said, I've got a little over 10kW of clean headroom if I need it. Things ain't exactly like they used to be.
                          Last edited by assquatch20; 01-03-2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I switch between a Mesa MkV and an Electra Dyne, 90W technically, but I usually use them on the 45w mode.
                            sigpic
                            Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

You'd be surprised how crazy loud my MESA MK III B rig can be.

Comment

100watts .... Shoot, last year I was rocking a 350w Marshall mode four amp!
                                Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Working...
                                X